Hart Gets An Extension And I'm Not Happy About It

Clinton Hart...god bless him. Somehow he convinced the Chargers front office that he deserved a 5 year contract extension. Is there a method to this madness? Was it critical to this team's success to make sure that a 31 year old strong safety who is afraid to hit, slow to diagnose and react to the play, and who's generally mediocre in just about every way, stays in San Diego for 5 more years? I've been very critical of the Chargers revolving door at safety and it looks like aside from Eric Weddle, we won't have stability at the position for the foreseeable future.

For a team that has slowly struggled more and more each year to stop the run, its a bit of a head-scratcher that this deal was done. Lets go back to Week 9 of the 2007 season, where the Adrian Peterson and the Minnesota Vikings rushed for over 350 yards on the San Diego Chargers defense:










I hope the team releases the figures in this contract extension because it is clearly evident that Mr. Hart is worth every penny...

Subscribe in a reader

April 7, 2008

Join our team:

3 comments:

Toad said... Apr 8, 2008, 10:09:00 AM

Yeah, this contract extension ($3M/Yr) is a head-scratcher. The saving item is that it appears to have no guaranteed money, meaning they can cut him next year when they secure his replacement. Meanwhile, Hart will feel that this extension will secure his future with the Bolts. And, if he can bring up his game this year, it just might.

Rob Zepeda said... Apr 8, 2008, 12:42:00 PM

I'm with ya Toad, thanks for pointing out some of the finer details of the contract. Hopefully he does step up his game but if the Chargers don't add a safety in the draft, I'll be...in a word, furious.

Matthew said... Apr 9, 2008, 9:52:00 PM

Well you pointed out one game where Clinton was terrible last year. But against the Vikings everyone was terrible. The put the blame of a missed tackle onto Mr. Hart's shoulders in that game it kinda misleading. While the guy is not a top 10 safety in this league he is not terrible and did come up with five INTs last year. I know that you are not a fan or Mr. Hart Rob, but let's give him a break as he will be starting next year here is San Diego for sure. I really do hope he steps up his game too though.

Post a Comment

What's your take? Registration is not required but we encourage you guys to at least use some sort of screen name to help identify one another in discussions. Use Name/URL If You Don't Sign In Please!

RACISM AND BIGOTRY IS NOT ALLOWED



Newer Post Older Post Home Page

This Week's Popular Posts

SAN DIEGO CHARGERS NEWS

  Chargers.com

  Pro Football Talk

  USA Today

  NFL.com

  San Diego Union - Tribune

  Yahoo! Sports

  ESPN - AFC West

  FOX Sports