Tomlinson Unsure About Returning Next Season

Subscribe to this Chargers blog Go to the front page

It would be more than a shame if the greatest football player San Diego has ever called their own would hang them up before becoming a champion. But that is the dilemma facing a frustrated Ladainian Tomlinson as he watches his opportunities fade each passing week. The San Diego Chargers entered the 2008 season with the highest of expectations; favorites to represent the AFC in the Super Bowl, the Bolts were supposed to be coasting towards the playoffs on the backs of the most talent roster in the NFL. And as one of the leagues most talented players, Tomlinson was supposed to be the catalyst that made the Chargers high-powered offense go.

Yet here we sit; only four wins under our belt and only six games to go. The offense is undergoing a change in identity as Norv Turner tries to win games through his quarterback Philip Rivers. LT has been reduced from MVP to role player. His opportunities are limited and the offense no longer runs through him. Even the fans are turning on #21, proving that pro football might be the ultimate "what have you done for me lately" sport.

Asked about a career possibly played in vain, Tomlinson responded with torturous words:
Each year is another season gone. I'll be the first one to tell you I am running out of time. I don't know how many more years I'm going to play. At this point, you just hope for the best. That's all I can really say about it. If things don't turn out they way they should this year, if we don't make it into the playoffs, you question 'what's next?' That's were I am right now.

Even though it might not seem like it these days, LT still has tremendous support from his fans, especially those who've suffered through losing season after losing season, with nothing to show for it. It's my sincere hope that Tomlinson comes back next year and I hope the fans show the guy lots of love as he goes through the most difficult portion of his stellar career.

November 17, 2008

Anonymous said... Nov 18, 2008, 9:11:00 AM

PERSONALLY I THINK THAT LT HAS GOTTEN A RAW DEAL FROM THE BANDWAGON CHARGERS FANS AND I SINCERELY PRAY THAT HE DOESNT THINK THAT US TRUE FANS HAVE ANY ILL FEELINGS FOR HIM OR THE REST OF OUR GUYS. STOP AND THINK ABOUT THE MILAGE THAT THESE GUYS HAVE PUT IN FOR US FANS SINCE THE 05 SEASON(MANY PLAYING WITH AND THROUGH INJURIES) I MEAN THESE GUYS ARE ONLY HUMAN AND THEY GET TIRED LIKE YOU AND I BUT THAT DOESNT MEAN THE DESIRE OR WILL TO WIN IS ANY LESS THAN IF WE WERE 9-1. GIVE THEM A BREAK, I WANT US TO MAKE THE PLAYOFF'S AND TO WIN A SUPER BOWL BUT IF THAT DOESNT HAPPEN I AM WILLING TO GIVE OUR TEAM THE UNDERSTANDING, TRUST AND SUPPORT THAT EVERY BOLT ROSTER MEMBER DESERVES FOR THEIR EFFORTS TO PLEASE US. LT, YOU HAVE TO MUCH GOD GIVEN TALENT TO WALK AWAY BEFORE YOU RAISE THAT LOMBARDI HIGH ABOVE YOUR HEAD TO VALIDATE YOUR WORTH AND TALENT(IT WILL HAPPEN BELIEVE IN YOURSELF AND YOUR TEAMMATES). WE WANT YOU, RIVERS, LIGHTS OUT AND NORV BACK NO MATTER THE OUT COME THIS SEASON. THIS IS A HEART-FELT APPEAL FROM A REAL SAN DIEGO CHARGER FAN. GOOD THINGS COME TO THE PATIENT AND PERSISTANT. GOD BLESS OUR TEAM.

Anonymous said... Nov 18, 2008, 2:43:00 PM

Absolutly Dude. LT you have given all of us true Charger fans many years of hope and many games of fulfillment we've lacked for years. It's been an honor to watch you play and I pray you return next year. Even though this year has not gone the way everyone expected, rise above it LT and move on with your head high! Every NFL fan knows you're the best and have been for many seasons. We all have our ups and downs. Many, Many THANKS to you and the Chargers for what they proven and what they've achieved, no matter what.

Closet Geek said... Nov 18, 2008, 3:06:00 PM

I really don't know how to take this. On one hand, I understand how frustrated he is. But on the other hand, it just sounds like the guy is already giving up on the season, and not only his career. I don't like that at all. 2 Denver losses and 2 Charger wins and we're right back in it. The NFL stands for "Not For Long" and LT should know this. I would love for him to stick around, but if the guy's heart isn't in it anymore, then its time to hang em up Barry Sanders style.

Anonymous said... Nov 18, 2008, 3:29:00 PM

Its never time to give up on the CHARGERS or LT, even if its not looking good.There is still time to get it together. Lets keep our hopes up!

Anonymous said... Nov 18, 2008, 3:34:00 PM

I have to agree with the rest of the TRUE CHARGER FANS. This year we did not expext Lights Ot to be sidelined, but unfortunally he was. But when he is there with akk the other players they are a force to reconed with. This year one peice of the puzzle was missing, next year that puzzle will be put back together and we will dominate. But we still have this year. Let's finish strong and L.T. PLEASE, PLEASE don't leave us. Don't be the missing peice of the puzzle next year.

Anonymous said... Nov 18, 2008, 4:30:00 PM

If I got paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to not only do what I love, but do my job, I'd play through my "tiredness". Rivers has an attitude problem and the management is lacking. Then there's Olshansky who's cocky steroid attitude jinxed last season. I feel LT's pain. If I were him, I'd bounce, but he's not being utilized.

Anonymous said... Nov 18, 2008, 6:21:00 PM

I feel Tomlinsons drive changed after the last game last year. I could understand that because I believe it would be a big let down. I thought to myself maybe he'd like to be trade. But that might not be on his mind just simply that he feels down.

Paul K. said... Nov 18, 2008, 7:35:00 PM

L.T is the biggest wimp in all of NFL. He sucks at the game of football and always ends up crying. He runs to the sidelines and is obviously afraid to get hit. GO STEELERS!!

CoolGuy said... Nov 18, 2008, 7:37:00 PM

Greatest player ever? I DON'T THINK SO.

Anonymous said... Nov 18, 2008, 8:26:00 PM

the problem is NORV SHIT TURNER.! THIS TEAM HAS TALENT BUT BAD A DUMB ASS COACH.

Anonymous said... Nov 19, 2008, 7:03:00 AM

LT go your own way. retire, traded, stay until not wanted, what ever.
The Chargers self destruced when coach Marty was fired and others went there own way.
So the fans yet get dissapointed again. This long cycle of worst to first and back down again has been the history here.And only visiting Super Bowl once.

Anonymous said... Nov 19, 2008, 10:19:00 AM

L.T. should move on. Dump the Chargers. Don't become another SEAU.

Anonymous said... Nov 19, 2008, 11:37:00 AM

This all began when ALL of the coaches left. Then Spanos and Company chose Norv? Why? The timing was way off in firing Marty. Stupid decision after your coordinators already walked. LT has talent, but it will not be long before he can't compete like he used to. We need a coach like Bill Cowher to come out of retirement. He fits this team perfect.

Anonymous said... Nov 19, 2008, 6:02:00 PM

This is purely management's fault!!! Players react to the leadership they are given. In the military it is the guys in command who are responsible for deploying the men properly. As good as LT is, he can only be as good as the leadership who deploys him. Norv is not a field general, at best he is an admin or ops boss. If you look at the coaches who have won super bowls they all have one thing in common which is the ability to get the most out of their people (Parcells, Belichek, Coughlin, Gruden, Lombardi, Nolls, Laundry) not one instance could I come up with someone who could not inspire his people to achieve. Norv needs to go. The Chargers could win this next year with a Cowher or someone like him. Not the dead fish who needs to spackle his neck just to look like a normal human.

Anonymous said... Nov 21, 2008, 4:45:00 PM

The only major player on the team with real talent is LT. Where's the rest of this "talent"? Chambers? Gates? Jackson? Rivers?! There is no Andre Johnson, Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, Anquan Boldin, Houshmandzadeh, Hines Ward in the receiving core. So where else is it? Defense? Ranked 27th. Offensive line? If so, I think the rushing offense would be better than 27th as well! How about the kicking game? Kaeding hasn't even attempted a kick over 49 yards this season and he's only 2 for 6 in the 40-49 range. So where's the "talent" if not LT. If LT goes, this team is in the gutter of the AFC West for a looooong time.

Anonymous said... Nov 24, 2008, 11:54:00 AM

Trade LT to Cincinnato for Chad Ocho Cinco Johnson. That way the Turdskins (Mexican'ts) will have someone to cheer for that speaks their language.

Signed, Cesar Chavez and Pancho Villa

Anonymous said... Nov 24, 2008, 11:59:00 AM

The Glow Worms running back, LT is a cry baby and whiner! The real LT from the NY Giants should snort some crack and give Ladomino a smack upside his stupid head.

Trade that limp wrister to the Broncos for John Lynch and Bill Homonowski.

Signed, John Elway

Anonymous said... Nov 24, 2008, 1:16:00 PM

It's NOT LT.

It's play calling.

It's a dum ass LOUDMOUTH QB.

And the line is no-where what it was last year.

LT is the only TRUE winner on the Chargers.

Anonymous said... Nov 24, 2008, 4:41:00 PM

The last post is somewhat on the mark. It's not LT. LT ran great in this last game getting up 4y/carry. Alas, they only gave him the ball 21 times. Total rushing plays topping out at 25. Indy ran less than that BUT THEY HAVE PAYTON MANNING. This game should have been Manning vs SD's Running Game. With LT, Sproles, Tolbert, and Hester you'd think the majority of the plays would be rushing. Oh, but I guess with all those elite recievers Rivers should be lighting up those defenses!

Anonymous said... Dec 2, 2008, 10:26:00 AM

First, he doesn't have L. Neil blocking in front of him. Hester is a rookie and doesn't understand the blocking game yet. The O-line is not physical like years past. They don't give LT the ball enough. He needs to touch it at least 25 to 30 times EACH game (running and passing) They need to run some slants over the middle of the field to get him in space. Everytime they screen it to him he's right at the sideline with no where to go. Line him up in the slot and let a linebacker try to cover him. Put Sproles and LT in the backfield together. The problem is not LT it's our coaching staff (mostly norv) Norv needs to be fired, but we all know that. Hire me as coach we would win more than 4 games.