Chargers Hope To Sign Free Agent Safety Jermaine Phillips

Jermaine Phillips
The San Diego Chargers announced today that they hosted Safety Jermaine Phillips for two days, hoping to sign the veteran free agent. While Phillips left San Diego Tuesday to visit Seattle, the Chargers are still very much in he mix to acquire his services.

As we pointed out almost a month ago, Jermaine Phillips would make an excellent addition to the San Diego Chargers defense, providing an immediate upgrade in both talent and leadership. Phillips has played an important role for Tampa Bay over the years, helping to lead a very strong Buccaneers backfield.

"Jermaine is a talented, physical veteran and we were excited to have an opportunity to get to know him better. He's played a role on some very good defenses. We enjoyed visiting with him." - Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith

The ball is essentially in Phillips' court at this point. As one of the better defensive backs left in free agency, Phillips has the opportunity to shop around a little. He headed to Seattle Tuesday but as of this post no signing has been announced. Phillips has ties in Seattle; Seahawks defensive coordinator Gus Bradley used to coach Phillips in Tampa Bay.

You could make the argument that the Chargers need Phillips more than he needs the Chargers. San Diego is desperate to upgrade the safety position after Clinton Hart failed miserably last year as a full-time starter. The Chargers have a young secondary and could use an infusion of leadership that a veteran like Phillips can provide. Outside of Jammer and Weddle, the secondary also was susceptible to being run over...Phillips' excellent run support would shore up that weakness immediately.

As far as I'm concerned, I think the Chargers cannot allow Jermaine Phillips to get away from them. The team would be much better off signing a veteran safety rather than trying to address the need in this year's draft. I think the team has done wonderfully to publicly announce their activities in free agency, but they need to step up and make sure they sign Phillips. Do not let this guy get away.

"I like to say I'm a human sacrifice. I throw my body in there at will for the team. I love to do it. That's my role, and that's what I'm going to do." - Jermaine Phillips on his approach to the game

Source: Chargers.com

This post is sponsored by Doc Sports:
Football Power Rankings
Sports Betting Rules

March 3, 2009

Anonymous said... Mar 4, 2009, 1:51:00 AM

I would much rather sign Sean Jones from Cleavland than overpay phillips. SJ is only 26 and is a big hitter. That would solidify our safties for the next 3 to 4 years. He is a huge upgrade over heart with upside. Philips might be better right now, but not next year or the year after that. IMO if the chargers do not take a serious look at SJ they will regret it as saftey will be a need again in two years.

Anonymous said... Mar 4, 2009, 7:38:00 AM

yeah but Jermaine Philips was on a much better defense than sean jones. and don't forget Philips has a superbowl ring that we ofcourse need,so he knows how to win.

Anonymous said... Mar 4, 2009, 8:45:00 AM

Yea, I am an avid Bucs and Chargers fan, living in Seminole, FL. Don't event try to tell me that Sean Jones is a fraction of the player that Jermaine Phillips is. The guy flat out plays and can knock guys unconcious. I remember when the Titans were in Tampa and big ole Lendale White was barreling up the middle until Phillips put a lickin' on on White and knocked him back about five feet and onto his butt. There is no way the Sean Jones is as good as Phillips. The only problem with Phillips is that his forearm keeps breaking. That is because he plays so physically and uses his body as a cannon ball. I sure hope the Bucs don't lose Phillips but if they do then I would want him to go to the Bolts and play in Qualcom where he won a Super Bowl ring.

Rob Zepeda said... Mar 4, 2009, 8:46:00 AM

Guys that watched him play last year told me Phillips was on his way to a Pro Bowl had he not got banged up and placed on IR

Anonymous said... Mar 4, 2009, 1:46:00 PM

AJ! This has to get done!

Anonymous said... Mar 4, 2009, 2:55:00 PM

Waiting at a chance to get SJ is stupid when we have a shot at picking up Phillips now. There are no guarantee's that SJ will even leave the Browns. Yes Phillips might be older, but he's one of the best in the game that's available. SJ is one of my choices to, but why wait when we have Phillips visiting. GET IT DONE CHARGERS. 808BOLTFAN.

Anonymous said... Mar 4, 2009, 8:27:00 PM

there is no way in hell that i can bare to see another season watching hart in the backfield. get this done aj.. IMO they shouldnt even have let phillips walk out of qualcomm.. they should have signed him on the spot.. what else more do u need to talk about or discuss.. hes been on a defense has been fairly well or better.. hes a power hitter even more than mcree was and oh how i wish mcree was still here hitting people up like he did donald driver.. phillips is the guy.. we need more than any other player right now.. i know we have a need at mlb to help stop the run.. but phillips can help that as well.. hes perfect.. get him aj.. dont waste time.

BettorFan Fantasy Sports said... Mar 6, 2009, 6:15:00 AM

AJ Smith better lock this down. This is a great way to shore up the defense quick.

Anonymous said... Mar 6, 2009, 9:34:00 AM

jermaine phillips already re-signed with the bucs. that bastard.
so does that mean MIKE BROWN could stop bye?

Anonymous said... Mar 6, 2009, 9:42:00 AM

Phillips re-signed with TB, which is a MAJOR disappointment. Now what?

Anonymous said... Mar 6, 2009, 12:14:00 PM

I think phillips used us to get more money from TB. oh well, if Jones doesn't sign with the Eagles (which he probably will) I hope AJ throws some money his way. Or we should sit Hart and start Oliver. Oliver has shown potential of a starting safety for us. 808BOLTFAN.

Joe Fiorentino said... Mar 9, 2009, 12:15:00 PM

How about Roy Williams? Not a great pass coverage guy, but can still hit, tackle and horse collar pretty well. Could always use the leadership experience. Though I'm reading that he looking for a team that runs a 4-3.