Rey Maualuga's name is being linked the to San Diego Chargers from multiple sources, and for good reason; the Chargers' defense proved vulnerable last year, especially up the middle. The loss of an impact player of Shawne Merriman's caliber certainly didn't help matters, but even by reaching into the depth chart the Chargers were never able to fully compensate for Merriman's loss, and they lacked consistent intensity all season long.
Maualuga is widely regarded as the NFL Draft's top middle linebacker prospect and a big reason why is that 'Sting Rey' is one of the most brutal tacklers in all of football. Even though the Chargers have good depth at linebacker, it would be foolish to think that a 3-4 defense can have too many good linebackers. Maualuga could be the second coming of Junior Seau and San Diego-area holds holds Mr. Seau in high regard.
BoltHype, along with a number of other team bloggers and newspaper writers, got together to participate in a mock draft. This time around, an impact player too good to pass up fell to the Bolts at pick 16:
01. Lions – Aaron Curry (LB) Wake Forest
02. Rams – Jason Smith (OT) Baylor
03. Eugene Monroe (OT) Virginia
04. Michael Crabtree (WR) Texas Tech
05. Browns - Malcolm Jenkins (DB) Ohio State
06. Bengals – Michael Oher (OT) Mississippi
07. Raiders – Brian Orakpo (DE) Texas
08. Jaguars - Jeremy Maclin (WR) Missouri
09. Packers – B.J. Raji (DT) Boston College
10. 49ers - Everette Brown (OLB) Florida State
11. Bills - Aaron Maybin (DE) Penn State
12. Broncos - Matt Stafford, QB (Georgia)
13. Washington Redskins – Andre Smith (OT) Alabama
14. Saints - Brian Cushing (OLB) USC
15. Texans – Clay Matthews Jr. (OLB) USC
16. Chargers – Rey Maualuga (LB) USC
Labels: Mock Draft
This Week's Popular Posts
Both the San Diego Union-Tribune and NFL.com are reporting that San Diego Chargers' first-round pick Larry English has agreed to a five...
The Chargers couldn't have picked a better year to hire Norv Turner. As crazy as that sounds, .500 in the AFC West this year is good eno...
With the knowledge now that the San Diego Chargers appear to be a bit shorthanded at inside linebacker given rookie Donald Butler’s season ...
The NFL Draft Trade Value Chart is a useful tool when trying to determine the value of a draft pick. While it is by no means gospel, this c...