Rey Maualuga's name is being linked the to San Diego Chargers from multiple sources, and for good reason; the Chargers' defense proved vulnerable last year, especially up the middle. The loss of an impact player of Shawne Merriman's caliber certainly didn't help matters, but even by reaching into the depth chart the Chargers were never able to fully compensate for Merriman's loss, and they lacked consistent intensity all season long.
Maualuga is widely regarded as the NFL Draft's top middle linebacker prospect and a big reason why is that 'Sting Rey' is one of the most brutal tacklers in all of football. Even though the Chargers have good depth at linebacker, it would be foolish to think that a 3-4 defense can have too many good linebackers. Maualuga could be the second coming of Junior Seau and San Diego-area holds holds Mr. Seau in high regard.
BoltHype, along with a number of other team bloggers and newspaper writers, got together to participate in a mock draft. This time around, an impact player too good to pass up fell to the Bolts at pick 16:
01. Lions – Aaron Curry (LB) Wake Forest
02. Rams – Jason Smith (OT) Baylor
03. Eugene Monroe (OT) Virginia
04. Michael Crabtree (WR) Texas Tech
05. Browns - Malcolm Jenkins (DB) Ohio State
06. Bengals – Michael Oher (OT) Mississippi
07. Raiders – Brian Orakpo (DE) Texas
08. Jaguars - Jeremy Maclin (WR) Missouri
09. Packers – B.J. Raji (DT) Boston College
10. 49ers - Everette Brown (OLB) Florida State
11. Bills - Aaron Maybin (DE) Penn State
12. Broncos - Matt Stafford, QB (Georgia)
13. Washington Redskins – Andre Smith (OT) Alabama
14. Saints - Brian Cushing (OLB) USC
15. Texans – Clay Matthews Jr. (OLB) USC
16. Chargers – Rey Maualuga (LB) USC
Labels: Mock Draft
This Week's Popular Posts
The following piece was written by Matt Staples Welcome to a new era of San Diego Chargers football; a ' Bold New Tradition ' if you...
The Chargers have signed former Dolphins cornerback Richard Marshall to a one year contract. The veteran player joins the Chargers at a tim...
As we near the home stretch in the countdown to this year’s NFL Draft, team scouts and General Managers around the league are undoubtedly p...
It's never too early to start looking ahead to the NFL Draft. As we start to wind down the 2009 Regular season, let's look at what...