Shannon Sharpe Says He's Not A Jay Cutler Fan

Jay Cutler
Former Denver Broncos Quarterback Jay Cutler didn't have many friends among Chargers fans. You could even say Cutler was strongly disliked in San Diego. But the Charger faithful weren't the only ones with an aversion towards the supercilious QB from Vanderbilt. Count Hall of Fame Tight End and former Broncos great Shannon Sharpe among those who disliked Cutlers attitude and posture, both on and off the football field.

"I'm not the biggest Jay Cutler fan. I don't like the way he carries himself or conducts himself from time to time. But there's no denying the talent. And people say, well he's only 17-20 (record as a starter). But look at his record when the defense gave up 20 points or less."

Asked to elaborate on his feelings towards Cutler's disposition, Sharpe pointed to the Jay Cutler - Philip Rivers "rivalry":

"The bickering back and forth between Philip Rivers; That's something you don't normally see between quarterbacks. Quarterbacks are always best buds. They go to each other's golf tournaments, they call each other, they go out and have a beer together. You don't' really ever see quarterbacks bickering and carrying on. I didn't really like that. I don't like the way he stands on the sidelines. And this is just me - he might be the greatest guy ever. I don't really know Jay Cutler, so I'm not one to sit here and pass judgment on him. But the way he stands and carries himself...I guess, and this is so unfair, I guess it's because I played nine years with number 7 (John Elway), and I just saw the way he (Elway) conducted himself. And I just automatically think all quarterbacks, especially if you play in Denver, that's the way you should do things. And that might be an unfair assessment of Jay Cutler and his character. But there are just some things I saw from the way he stood on the sideline, when things went wrong, the way he conducted himself, that I wasn't totally in love with."

Source: NFL.com

April 2, 2009

Anonymous said... Apr 2, 2009, 9:50:00 PM

Yeah you so just didn't pass any judgement there shannon. I am the happiest man on the planet good bye Jay. You can basically punch the Chargers ticket for the playoffs because no one in the AFC West is going to touch us. And the Bears gave up a lot and I HATE Jay Culter but I'd take him over Kyle or Rex anyday. So Shannon please just shut up. Anyone who says this was a bad trade is just stupid you never know what your getting in the draft just ask the lions charles roger, joey harrington, mike williams, etc. etc. They (bears) got a great QB and I'm happy he is gone from the AFC West. The broncos were the only thing in our way. Without Culter the broncos are easily set back 2 maybe even 4 years. This is a great day if your a Chargers fan Like me. HAPPY DAYS!!!!!

Anonymous said... Apr 2, 2009, 11:19:00 PM

You are nuts man! The Bears got screwed in that deal. The Broncos get 2 1st rounders, a 3rd rounder, and Kyle Orton who lead the Bears to a 9-7 record with a sorry receiving corps and offensive line. Cuntler had 2 great wideouts, an excellent offensive line, and a pretty good tight-end too. Despite that, he still needed a blown call by Hochuli and a missed field goal by the Saints to win 8 games. OVERRATED. I wish he was still in the AFC west so we could kick his ass twice a year.

Anonymous said... Apr 3, 2009, 7:18:00 AM

Don't know why this should be a happy day for us Chargers fans. He ment nothing and we all know why he has a W against SD last year.

I which he'd stay and got beaten some more.

Anonymous said... Apr 3, 2009, 10:28:00 AM

That whole "Look at his record when the defense gives up under 20" stat is pretty worthless. QBs are supposed to win when their defenses play well! Cutler is 13-1 in such situations. Great. Rivers is 28-2!

Anonymous said... Apr 3, 2009, 10:50:00 AM

He wasn't nothing...he's damn good QB even though I hate the donkeys. They lost lot of games because of their poor D, not Cutler (well he did lose a few). Before this trade, Donkeys looked better on paper with free agents and their favorable draft spots. We were in toe to toe with these guys on both games (even with the blown call). I don't think our D's that much better do you?

Anonymous said... Apr 3, 2009, 11:14:00 AM

toe to toe in both games? As i recall.. the last game of the season.. to get into the playoffs.. we blow them out.. i mean common.. it was freaken 24-6 by half time.. then 52-21 final score?... toe to toe right? hahaha not even close.. plus the way our team was playin at the begining of the season.. game one shouldnt even count

Anonymous said... Apr 3, 2009, 11:15:00 AM

blew*

Anonymous said... Apr 3, 2009, 12:24:00 PM

Bottom line Cutler was a very productive QB who through too many picks. Whether or not he will clutch up is to be seen. Obviously McDaniel's thought that he was missing it north of the shoulder pads. In the short run this will benefit the Chargers but in the long run it is hard to tell. It all comes down to the draft...the same thing that made the Chargers a terrible team years ago and the same thing that has made them the perrenial favorite in the AFC West recently.

Go Bolts!!!!

Anonymous said... Apr 3, 2009, 1:21:00 PM

Cutler couldn't hold Philip Rivers' jock strap. Philip is gonna take over the reigns in the NFL as an elite QB now that Peyton Manning and Tom Brady are getting up there in age. Philip represents the new wave of Future Hall of Fame QB's in the NFL and I will be glad to see his bust next to Dan Fouts one day as 2 of the greatest Charger QB's. In Philip we trust.

Anonymous said... Apr 6, 2009, 12:37:00 PM

I agree that it's a stretch to say look how good he was when the defense held opponents under 20. Most every QB has a strong record when that happens. Also, what they DON'T reveal, is how many of those points given up by the "defense" are attributable to Jay Cutler throwing picks. Someone with time please look this up.

Anonymous said... Apr 6, 2009, 4:09:00 PM

I'm surprised Shannon didn't mention anything about how Philip Rivers carries himself. It takes two to talk s*it. Being a Chargers fan, I can even see it. Rivers has a lot of growing up to do too. But at least Rivers didn't say something stupid like, he's got a stronger arm than Dan fouts!

Anonymous said... Apr 7, 2009, 10:17:00 PM

You may not like how Rivers conducted himself on the field in some of the more publicized outtakes but he has always been very professional when talking to media. He always stayed away from the Cutler feud and took the high road by focusing on the team and not himself. Cutler allowed the media to engage him in the war of words over and over. I think that shows a huge difference in not only their levels of professionalism but their maturity as well. Rivers gets it and Cutler does not.

Joe Fiorentino said... Apr 8, 2009, 6:52:00 AM

lol, why would Shannon Sharpe call out a fellow shit talker? Pot, kettle, black.

Rivers handles himself perfectly well. He's a competitor...

Jordan Xavier B said... Apr 8, 2009, 2:10:00 PM

I agree with the 3rd or 4th comment. Bring him back so we can kick is twice a year.

Also, rivers may talk crap, but the guy doesnt even cuss. You could read his lips when he was talkin crap to cutler. All he said was baby. I personally love all the talkin he does. In the end he's still a good guy.... Plus it helps that he was the number 1 rated QB last year.... and that he's a charger... and that he is able to perform when our line cant run the ball

Anonymous said... Apr 8, 2009, 3:53:00 PM

I just don't get Chargers fans who don't like Rivers. Don't get me wrong, Drew Brees is a good QB (and AJ blew that by only getting a 3rd round pick the following year--see Cassel trade for 2nd rounder or Cutler trade for 2 1st's and a 3rd). But back to my point...I can remember many Rivers comebacks and not one Brees comeback. Some of the biggest were against the Bengals in Cincinati in 06, against the Broncos at Mile High in 07, and against the Chiefs at Arrowhead this year. He has proven to be way more clutch than Brees.