So Long, Mr. Cutler

Jay Cutler...man (well, boy), myth (like the self-perpetuated myth that he was better than Elway), legend (only in his own mind)…and now, Chicago Bear. And the Bears’ drama at QB continues.

I’ll let you in on a little secret- I’m a closet Bears fan. I fell in love with the team (and really, football in general) during the 1986 Super Bowl win by the Bears, and although the Chargers will always be MY team, the Bears will always have a special place in my heart. With the Bears now in the spotlight, I can’t let Thursday’s Bears-Bronco trade slip by without offering my two-cents on the deal.

My first thought? The Broncos absolutely made out. No other team was offering close to what the Bears paid. My second thought? The Bears got hosed! Trading a lot of the future away for a QB with a solid arm and very questionable head? You’re taking a HUGE risk.

My dislike of Jay Cutler has been well documented (see my previous blog from Chargers Coverage, Jay Cutler- Looking For The Spotlight, here). There’s no doubt that Cutler has a strong arm. There’s also little doubt, especially now, that he has an immature head holding one very poor attitude, truly a quarterback in the Jeff George-mold (no, that’s not a compliment).

As frustrating as it is to see an AFC West rival receive such a great assortment of draft picks, I’m more disappointed that the Chargers won’t have Cutler to pick on twice a year anymore. The fact that Cutler is winless against the Chargers (since last year’s week-2 victory was a win for Ed Hochuli) made Bronco games almost as much fun as watching the Chargers beat the Raiders twice a year. Plus, knowing that Cutler talked more smack than he could ever back up made the spectacle even more entertaining.

So to Jay I say “So long!” You may be gone, but you will never be forgotten. At least until your career turns south and your oversized ego runs you out of the Windy City. And then I can once again pull for the Bears.

April 5, 2009

J.D. said... Apr 5, 2009, 8:35:00 PM

I've heard a lot of Chargers fan claim that the Bronco's losing Cutler isn't a big deal. Well, IT"S A HUGE DEAL. Cutler was the player the Bronco's had and now he's gone. ALL CHARGERS FANS SHOULD REJOICE. The Broncos just messed up their powerful offense and they won't be able to fix their defense even with two first round picks.

Anonymous said... Apr 6, 2009, 11:23:00 AM

It is a big deal because of how much the Broncos received for an overrated quarterback who never had a winning season in the NFL or college. They were average last year and with a good draft, can easily improve their team with the pieces they have in place. Look what the Chargers did with the draft picks they got from the Rivers/Manning trade. Kyle Orton is a solid quarterback and a great leader who managed to help his team win despite a poor offensive line and no decent WR. As Charger fans, we should be a bit worried. It will be exciting.

Joe Fiorentino said... Apr 6, 2009, 12:08:00 PM

Xanders and McDaniel's are both inexperienced and running the draft for the first time. The chances of them picking superstars are much lower then experienced GM's and coaches. And we all know what a crap shoot it can be anyway.

Im not worried about this year. Even if they have starting rookies, its so rare for them to be impact players their rookie season.

J.D. said... Apr 6, 2009, 10:04:00 PM

Denver a great a great offense last year and terrible defense. Now they will have a better than average offense and an o.k. defense. Orton is no Cutler fool.

STEVE said... Apr 7, 2009, 8:22:00 AM

Don't fall asleep and forget about the Chiefs.
Now they have the QB to go along with all those good WR, new coach, and for sure will only get better with this years draft.

Anonymous said... Apr 7, 2009, 9:26:00 PM

The Chiefs wont necessarily be that much better. Cassel was surrounded by big talent in NE, KC is not nearly as talented. Not this year anyway. I think Denver will be a bigger problem than KC or OAK. But McDaniels inexperience as head coach as well as denver players supposed mistrust of him might cause some big problems.

J.D. said... Apr 7, 2009, 9:46:00 PM

Well what ever the case we must win the division to make the play offs with our schedule there won't be a wild card given in the AFC WEST.