Merriman Snubbed In Team Captain Vote?

The San Diego Chargers announced their offensive and defensive captains for the 2009 season. Voted on by their teammates, the usual suspects of Philip Rivers and Ladainian Tomlinson earned offensive co-captain designations, Kassim Osgood was voted the special teams captain, and Jamal Williams and Stephen Cooper were named the defensive captains. Apparently Shawne Merriman did not earn enough votes to be named as a captain.

Perhaps his time away from football last year was a factor. His public legal battle with Tila Tequilla certainly didn't help much either. But I must say it is mildly surprising that the team's most vocal and intense leader did not earn a captain designation.

Chargers.com: Chargers select captains

MERRIMAN INTERVIEW FEATURED IN OCT. ISSUE OF PLAYBOY

The Game’s Most Dangerous Linebacker Talks About His Hits, His Comeback, Being Hazed as a Rookie, and His Troubled Childhood

“I’m so dangerous right now I scare myself,” says Shawne Merriman in Playboy’s October 20Q, when asked about his rebuilt body (issue on newsstands and online at www.playboydigital.com Friday, September 11). The San Diego Chargers’ linebacker, nicknamed Lights Out for his ability to knock players out, is healthy and strong following knee surgery, and is ready to hit everything that moves. “I’m 100 percent healthy for the first time since entering the league…Now I’m the strongest I’ve ever been…If you’re wearing a different-colored helmet than me, you’re in trouble.”

Playboy.com: Shawne Merriman: 20Q

ODDS AND ENDS

Chargers co-headliners for Week 1 Monday Nighter

The fans see a pair of blowouts and so do the oddsmakers. Both the Chargers and Patriots are double-digit favorites for tonight’s games and while the Pats are following a trend of covering the spread in this situation, San Diego’s Week 1 trend focuses on the total.

The Pats are 8-2-2 ATS their past 12 Week 1 games as a favorite and they are favored by 11 at home to the Bills, according to NFL odds aggregator OddsShark.com. San Diego, when they are favored in Week 1, has been a consistent UNDER play (going 8-2 past 10 times).

Most NFL observers are aware of the Bolts’ 11-game win streak against the hated Raiders, but they have also been a money-making 7-0 ATS at Oakland. (See the matchup report here.)

While the trends pointed to many Week 1 UNDERs, six games played OVER the total (although the Giants-Redskins game barely crept over 39.5 with a 23-17 score) for a 8-6 mark favoring UNDER bettors.

Fully 87.8% of OddsShark.com visitors were picking the Chargers to cover the 10-point spread. A lot of money pushed the number from -7 to -10.5 at some places that offer steep favorite lines. Nearly 80% of bettors are on the OVER.

September 14, 2009

Anonymous said... Sep 14, 2009, 2:29:00 PM

"But I must say it is mildly surprising that the team's most vocal and intense leader did not earn a captain designation."

Maybe that's just Merriman's public perception and/or persona. I think it speaks volumes about him and what the team really thinks with this vote.

Rob Zepeda said... Sep 14, 2009, 2:56:00 PM

@ above: well said! I think Cooper also emerged last season as a leader of the defense. Merriman's Lights Out persona might rub some of his teammates the wrong way...

Anonymous said... Sep 14, 2009, 6:52:00 PM

Just don't rub any Tequila on his bruised ego. "Light's Out" needs to worry less about Hollyweird and focus on thumping some opponenets - beginning with Russell! If LO can contribute and be a positive and influential leader to the Bolts, everything will work itself out, epsecially if he can help hoist the trophy at the end of the season. Afterwards, he can flash his jewelery all he wants for the camera on his way out of San Diego heading North on I-5.

Anonymous said... Sep 15, 2009, 11:16:00 PM

We didn't get much of a good, long look at Merriman's play on Monday night, but it seems he not only is favoring his post-operative knee; but a powerful "burst" off of it (so necessary for Shawne's ability to get that big body in position to make plays) has yet to be demonstrated so far this season. If that doesn't change, and very soon; you can color Merriman "gone" for the Chargers AND any other NFL team that will pay him what he's accustomed to. I certainly wish him the best, but just watch his feet and strides (especially the first two or three step "burst" to his right). He needs huge improvement from where he's at now, or pretty soon even Tila will be leaving Lights Out in the dust. It's a cruel, cruel, business (ask L.T., either one).

Anonymous said... Sep 16, 2009, 2:11:00 PM

I thought he appeared to have a good push on bull rushes. He looked disruptive. I agree that I didn't see the speed around the edge and burst to sack QB. It is just one game so we will wait and see. It may take much of this year for him to get back. Possible not until next year. I just hope he doesn't get another injury from favoring the existing one.

Anonymous said... Sep 18, 2009, 11:47:00 AM

I agree with the Anon above. Merriman, himself, has stated he's not fully back yet so his performances need to be viewed with a grain of salt. If he's meeting his assignments and doing his job and it's just the leg that's holding him back, I can live with that.