Some quick San Diego Chargers news bits for the week, including where the Chargers Quarterback and Running Backs rank league-wide, the Chargers stance on a San Diego-based stadium, and the odds the Bolts will start the regular season 1-0...
(Photo Credit: Mike Nowak/San Diego Chargers)
CHARGER RANKED FIFTH BASED RB TANDEM IN THE NFL
The sparkling playmaking of Sproles got lost a bit last season in the obsession over how much Tomlinson had lost off his game. Even with Tomlinson putting up average numbers (for him, anyway), this was still easily a top-five tandem. Both backs can do it all offensively, and Sproles has a gear and change of direction that may only exist in a half dozen other players in the NFL.
Yahoo Sports: Which NFL rushing tandem is tops?
CHARGERS REITERATE STANCE ON SAN DIEGO STADIUM PLANS
San Diego Chargers Special Counsel Mark Fabiani joined the team in 2002 and has been leading the effort to bring a new state-of-the-art stadium to the San Diego region for the past seven years at a cost of more than $10 million. Today Fabiani addressed issues raised in this morning’s San Diego Union-Tribune about the possible renovation of Qualcomm Stadium.
Chargers.com: Fabiani addresses question of stadium renovation
USA TODAY RANKS PHILIP RIVERS THE EIGHTH BEST QB IN THE NFL
1. Peyton Manning, Indianapolis Colts: What's left to ask other than if this is the year he'll win a record fourth MVP award?
2. Tom Brady, New England Patriots: Does he reprise 2007 success immediately, or will it take awhile to shed rust?
3. Drew Brees, New Orleans Saints: League's most prolific passer since '06 is hoping for a more prolific defense so he can march back to playoffs.
4. Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay Packers: Expect him to continue proving the Packers were right to sever ties with Brett Favre when they did.
5. Kurt Warner, Arizona Cardinals: With NFL's top receiving duo, he should have another MVP-caliber year if hip surgery proves a non-issue.
6. Donovan McNabb, Philadelphia Eagles: The Eagles have more weapons, but will presumed Wildcat weapon Michael Vick help or hinder McNabb?
7. Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh Steelers: Center Justin Hartwig says the Steelers now a pass-first team. Big Ben is the reason.
8. Philip Rivers, San Diego Chargers: No hardware just yet, but his stats have eclipsed 2004 draft mates Eli Manning and Roethlisberger.
Source: QB power rankings: There's Peyton, Tom and all the rest
CHARGERS ARE NINE POINT FAVORITES FOR WEEK ONE'S SHOWDOWN IN OAKLAND
While Friday’s game with the 49ers marks the end of the preseason, it is just the beginning of the Chargers-related odds action that hits with a flurry next week. The Bolts have won 5 of 6 preseason battles with San Fran, according to the folks at OddsShark.com, who are providing Bolthype with a cool NFL odds feed this season.
But it’s looking ahead to Week 1 (where lines are already posted and the Bolts are favored by 9 points over the Raiders), where true Charger fans might be able to pocket some extra cash this year.
For example, if you think LT is going to bounce back to 2006 form, there is a proposition wager at Bodog that looks like easy money. They set LT’s rushing yard over-under at 1,150. You think he’ll get more, bet ‘over.’ They set his TD total at 13.5.
Charger traitors can bet ‘under’ if they think Sproles and age will eat into LT’s production. Speaking of Darren Sproles, Bodog set his combined rushing/receiving total at 570. Only 570!?
There are also Charger prop bets focused on Philip Rivers, Antonio Gates, Chris Chambers and Vincent Jackson. And don’t forget Shawne Merriman, whose sack total over-under was set at 12.5
Think the Chargers will be the highest-scoring team in the league in 2009? They are 8/1 underdogs. Think both AFC Wild Cards will come from the woeful West – that’s a 25/1 longshot.
OddsShark.com also tracks unique hometown football wagers where you bet whether the Chargers will get more wins in 2009 than the USC Trojans. USC is favored at -1 by the way. However, the Chargers vs UCLA Bruins win prop has the Bolts favored at -3.5 (meaning the Bruins need to win four more games than the Chargers to cover the bet).
This Week's Popular Posts
With needs along the offensive and defensive lines, combined with question marks at running back, cornerback, and wide receiver, the months...
BOLTHYPE has partnered with West Coast Hooters and are pleased to offer our readers with an exclusive coupon! GET THE COUPONS! FOUR...
The 2010 NFL Draft is in the books, but the San Diego Chargers are not done acquiring rookie talent. Here's a list of players confirmed...
The San Diego Chargers have made the following selections in the 2012 NFL Draft... Chargers 2012 NFL Draft Picks San Diego Chargers...