Fantasy Football Stock Watch: Week 10

In our relentless pursuit of increasing our value to you, our lovely readers, BOLTHYPE is pleased to introduce a new contributor to the site, a Mr. Steve Adler. Steve runs a fantasy football blog of his own, and is excited about becoming a regular contributor to BOLTHYPE.com - please leave some feedback in the comments section below if you'd like to see more of these types of posts!

Welcome to BOLTHYPE's Fantasy Football Stock Watch - Week 10 Buy/Sell. My name is Steve Adler contributor on FantasyDaddy.com and "self proclaimed" fantasy sports expert. The goal of the Buy and Sell series is make you aware of players you should pursue because of what could and typically is the perceived value of the player at the time. With less than two weeks before the trading deadline in most leagues we want to look at players that will help you secure that playoff spot and help your team make a deep run in the playoffs. With that being said let’s take a look at week 10 buy and sell.

QUARTERBACKS: BUY!

Kurt Warner – I know some of you doubted Kurt after that Week 8 performance, but you have to remember this is a pass heavy offense. Warner is going to throw all the time! Warner has thrown at least two TD’s in five of the eight games this year. His schedule is really, I mean REALLY soft the rest of the way.

Honorable Mention – Philip Rivers/Carson Palmer

QUARTERBACKS: SELL!

Tony Romo – He has a great match up this week vs. the Packers, but after that his match ups get pretty rocky, with the exception of the Oakland game. Miles opened up the passing game, but teams will adjust and Romo has never been a great QB in December and I do not see any reason why this changes now.

Honorable Mention – Kyle Orton/Eli Manning/Matt Ryan

RUNNING BACKS: BUY!

Steve Slaton* – How quickly people forget. Even with two soft week Slaton is still the 12th highest scoring HB. He also has a very weak schedule moving forward. Pennies on the dollar right now for Slaton.

*Stop the presses if Larry Johnson signs in Houston.

Honorable Mention – Ronnie Brown/Stephen Jackson

RUNNING BACKS: SELL!

LaDainian Tomlinson – SELL! SELL! SELL! While you still can. As a Chargers fan, I watch this team really close and this is my take. Norv Turner has zero desire to establish the run. Norv loves to play action at the goal line or spread the defense with Sproles in the back field. The OL doesn’t remember how to run block, LT is getting blown up at the line and he is not catching any where near the amount of passes he has in years past. SELL!

HM – Matt Forte/Kevin Smith/Brian Westbrook

WIDE RECEIVERS: BUY!

Steve Smith - Yes the guy in Carolina! The guy always gets his and you can probably get him for pennies on the dollar right now. I am riding this guy out, you can expect teams to really force Delhomme to beat them from here on out and the only real option Jake has got is Steve Smith. He is a huge game waiting to happen.

HM – Greg Jennings

WIDE RECEIVERS: SELL!

DeSean Jackson – I know, I know, but hear me out. You can sell this guy as a top 5 fantasy WR at this point. Great thing about DeJack is that he has big games on big stages, so people over value him. 14 targets in the last three games and only two games with 10 or more all season. Classic boom or bust fantasy player. His schedule the rest of the way isn’t very favorable as well.

HM – Steve Smith (NYG)

TIGHT ENDS: BUY!

Jason Witten - Witten owners are losing their patience. The Eagles started to double team Miles Austin and you know what that means…..Witten time!

That is the buy and sell for week 10. Please come visit us at FantasyDaddy.com/cms

If you have any questions regarding fantasy plays or trades ask us on twitter.com/FantasyDaddy

Good Luck this week and GO CHARGERS!

November 11, 2009

Steve Adler said... Nov 11, 2009, 1:07:00 PM

Question posed by Riversfn on twitter: Y is PR only and honorable mention?

Answer: To be honest, I think Rivers is the best fantasy play from here on out. This isn't a projection of who is going to score the most points for the rest of the season. To acquire a player like Rivers you are going to have to give up a some studs, which will more than likely weaken your other positions. You have to buy high on Rivers right now.

To acquire Warner, you will not have to give up as much. For a team that has depth, you could probably get warner for an HB2 or WR2. Adding Warner will not hurt your line up as much, but has tremendous upside. Which is why he's a great buy right now.

Anonymous said... Nov 11, 2009, 3:57:00 PM

I'd rather hear your takes on Charger players' fantasy value. Maybe you can do a follow up post or something?

Anonymous said... Nov 12, 2009, 7:15:00 AM

Rivers also doesnt get to pad his stats against the "sorriest corner in the league" this week. Ellis Hobbs was put on injured reserve.

Anonymous said... Nov 12, 2009, 4:51:00 PM

Excuse me?! I'm admittedly an old fart; so maybe that and my natural knuckleheadedness may help explain my complete and total disrespect and lack-of-interest in all thing "fantasy league"? But the internet is a wonderous thing, and it also gives me an opportunity to ASK YOU, someone of a different outlook, WHY you persist in this (to me) oh-so-truly odd behavior? Really, can you please explain how you relate this fantasy version to "real" football and "real" people? Have you ever played REAL football? What IS the draw to the fantasy version for you?
JLM

Anonymous said... Nov 13, 2009, 3:05:00 PM

To the above poster, yes he's played real football. Although he wasn't nearly as talented as his younger cousin was. But I digress, the draw to fantasy football, as well as other sports, is the ability to manage a team. -Jason Lujan

Jason Lujan said... Nov 13, 2009, 3:18:00 PM

Also, forgot to mention this, but I thoroughly enjoyed the article. Keeping my DeSean Jackson though :P

Anonymous said... Nov 14, 2009, 10:35:00 AM

Jason - Thanks for the explanation of the "draw" (i.e. to manage a team)to fantasy football for an olde fart like me who has real trouble seeing any appeal in it. I really do sincerely appreciate your input.
The verb "manage" has many various definitions, and I do see where your explanation connects in at least some ways. But doesn't the austere and bloodless, statistics-only orientation of fantasy leagues restrict you? I mean, real football is both a visceral game AND an analytical one, and to my sentimental ways it would be hard to imagine "managing" any team without a real personality, or pulse. Am I off base here?
Again, I'm not experienced in fantasy leagues of any sort, and I'm not trying to insult anyone or change anyone's mind either; I'm just hoping to understand the appeal to something that, no doubt, takes many hours of irreplaceable time from the REAL lives of it's fans.
Is it all a kind of "Sims" for General Managers or something?
JLM

Steve Adler said... Nov 14, 2009, 6:28:00 PM

JLM,

You have very valid points. Fantasy Football, is almost like a game in the game. When I first starting playing FF twenty years ago, most people thought it was just crazy and saw no point to it. Of course now, it's main stream so it's accepted.

It's a great way to match wits, know how and strategy against other "know it all" football fans. Managing a team of players that you have selected in which you feel will perform well. Picking up players off waivers and making trades with other Owners is all part of the process.

As Chargers fan, we all know that some years hold more interest than others. FF is a great way to stay in tune, not only with your team but on the league as a whole. A few years back I had a co worker that had never played and I had to twist his arm to get in because we needed another owner. Half way through the season he came into my office and said, "I can't thank you enough, I really started watching football again and it's been really fun." This was a Rams fan that stopped watching football shortly after the team moved the St. Louis.

Leagues can vary as far as the amount of detail involved. Some leagues keep things very basic and others go as far as using OL's and Individual Defensive Players. Just depends on how much time you really want to commit. I hope this gives you some insight. Hopefully, at some point we meet and can have a good sit down about it.

Anonymous said... Nov 16, 2009, 12:18:00 AM

Steve Adler,
Thank you for the more detailed explanation. It is indeed very helpful, and I can see how the mainstream media has begun mining the fastasy league sources for their being unpaid statisticians and giving them ready-made talking points. There is no doubt that fantasy football and easy access to computers have radically changed the way the game is called "live".
I don't know that it will ever be my cup of tea, but best of luck to all of you. Enjoy.
JLM