Chargers Place Highest Tenders On Merriman, Jackson, Floyd

According to various reports, the San Diego Chargers have placed the highest tender on three of their star players. Shawne Merriman, Vincent Jackson, and Malcolm Floyd have all received first-and-third round tenders making them unlikely to sign elsewhere in 2010.

On the surface, this appears to be good news for the team and it's fans. Assuming Merriman returns to form and Jackson continues his brilliance, the Chargers should be an even better team than they were last year.

In addition to trying to get these guys signed to long-term deals, the Chargers would still be allowed to trade these players. Each would earn a little more than $3 million in the upcoming 2010 season.

February 28, 2010

Jeff said... Feb 28, 2010, 12:12:00 PM

That sounds great and is great to hear. This gives us fans more news on the other positions the team needs to focus on the much more needed positions from the draft or the free agency.

Jeff said... Feb 28, 2010, 1:00:00 PM

after watching the combine today on qbs, rbs, and wrs, i say we get jahvid best. he's a good all around rb.

Anonymous said... Feb 28, 2010, 3:33:00 PM

Just seeing the combines. C.J.Spiller is everything they say. Fast!! But what I noticed was he got a powerful built giving a great chance to play everydown. Same thing with Best, I just worry about the concussion part for him. Sadly we won't get a chance to get them. Detroit is interested in Cromartie, let see what A.J. can pull off. No worry, Ryan Matthews is more than I thought. Power built, plus fluidness in motion. Great speed for his size. I see the Chargers without any late trades for picks go with Matthews in the 1st, if not McKnight will still be available in the 2nd and pick up Gehart 4th or 5th. Gehart looks strong, Great FB material.

Jeff Williams said... Mar 1, 2010, 12:09:00 PM

Am I in the minority when I say that I don't want a running back in the first round? There's a lot of talent out there, and our running back isn't going to be more than a role player in this offense. Why spend first round value on such a deep position? Show me the linemen!

Anonymous said... Mar 1, 2010, 3:10:00 PM

Jeff, I agree with you 100%. We need to focus on the interior--NT especially. Get a veteran RB cheap, groom a young draft pick or sign an undrafted FA. The bolts usually have talented undrafted players come to us for exposure and that will be even more since LT left and Sproles may as well.

As far as Cromartie, one rumor is that we are trading for Maurice Morris (30years old) and a 4th/5th draft pick. I hope that is not the case. I would rather keep Cromartie than that. We can utilize him as a return guy too which is more insurance if Sproles does go elsewhere.

JMZ

Shane said... Mar 1, 2010, 4:48:00 PM

I agree with not drafting a RB in the 1st because of depth in this years draft. We can get a Ben Tate, Anthony Dixon, Montario Hardesty after we address our line needs. I say we go for Dan williams, Terrance Cody, Brian Price, or a stud right tackle with our first pick. As for trading Cro, I would be happy to get an early second and do work in this years draft. PLEASE dont trade him for a used RB, especially with all the talent in the draft!

Victor said... Mar 2, 2010, 1:25:00 AM

I'm with you guys completely. The argument I'm hearing is that Dan williams will be gone by our 28th pick and there wont be a NT worth that pick.

Anonymous said... Mar 2, 2010, 4:58:00 PM

I agree with keeping cromartie as a punt return guy. He's quick and he doesn't like to get hit. Do you realize what having this guy unemployed will cost the nation in child care. Ha Ha On a serious note lets not pull the trigger on him just yet. Especially if Sproles is leaving. Good point my friend.
Lighting 72

Anonymous said... Mar 3, 2010, 7:00:00 AM

We couldn't trade Cromartie if our lives depended on it. Everyone knows how much trouble he is. He just told everyone that the Chargers in general are not running the defense he feels they should. That tell everyone he is uncoachable. He should put a condom on his mouth, that way he won't put his foot in it. He is not worth enough for a team to take a chance on. Draft picks? Please!

Anonymous said... Mar 5, 2010, 9:59:00 AM

WAT noooo i love how vincent jackson plays we should keep him