After re-watching some game video of Tennessee's Dan Williams, I've become more and more convinced that this prospect is likely to be sitting high on the Chargers' draft board. While we have no inside information on the matter, BOLTHYPE has traditionally fared well in identifying the team's draft needs. If Dan Williams is available at the time the Chargers draft, the talented nose tackle would be hard to pass up.
As we've already outlined on our 2010 Chargers Draft Needs page, the Chargers could use some reinforcements along the defensive line, specifically at nose tackle where the 33 year old Jamal Williams will be coming back from surgery on a torn triceps muscle.
Defensive Tackle isn't the Chargers only draft need, and its certainly not their highest, but nevertheless it is a position the Chargers need to look at. The nose tackle position is critical for what the Chargers want to do on defense, and it will likely be a consideration for them. Also a factor is the relative rarity of a nose tackle prospect carrying a first-round grade.
DAN WILLIAMS MINI-SCOUTING REPORT
* Williams is stout at the point of attack and occupies blockers. Tennessee was an undersized, athletic group and Williams helped keep them free to fly to the ball.
* He has a powerful lower body (good bubble) and plays at pad level; he doesn't get too high and out of position, but he will get his hands up and block passes and kicks on occasion.
* Williams is strong - he clogs running lanes and forces the play to the outsides where the linebacker can clean up.
* Still has upside; Williams has room to get even stronger, and has shown he is able to keep his weight under control, unlike other guys of his size.
* As pro-ready as any d-line prospect in the draft, having been coached under Lane and Monte Kiffin. Three year starter in the SEC. Teammates describe him as "unblockable."
DAN WILLIAMS HIGHLIGHTS - 2010 SENIOR BOWL
DAN WILLIAMS HIGHLIGHTS - 2009 TENNESSEE SEASON
Is Dan Williams on your wish-list? Why or why not? Sound off in the comments section below and let's have some draft discussion!
Labels: NFL Draft 2010
This Week's Popular Posts
Continuing in our journey to name the 50 Greatest Chargers Ever, we look at the wide receiver position. Helped by the high-powered offenses ...
2012 will be year three for running back Ryan Mathews in his NFL career and although last year was a step in the right direction, the team ...
Both the San Diego Union-Tribune and NFL.com are reporting that San Diego Chargers' first-round pick Larry English has agreed to a five...
The San Diego Chargers headquarters and practice facilities are located at 4020 Murphy Canyon Rd. San Diego, CA 92123 View Larger Map Its...