Chargers 2010 Mock Draft 3.0

In our third Chargers mock draft of 2010, BOLTHYPE projects the Chargers will address the running back position in the second round after first drafting a coveted defensive tackle.

1st Round: NT Dan Williams, Tennessee

Of all prospects in the 2010 NFL Draft, Dan Williams represents perhaps the most perfect pairing of value and need to the Chargers. And as such, it would be nothing short of amazing if the number one guy on San Diego's board were to be available at the 28th overall selection. Widely regarded the top nose tackle prospect in a draft class deep with defensive linemen, Dan Williams would instantly upgrade and secure one of the Chargers' most glaring holes. As Dan Williams himself has confirmed, the Chargers have shown strong interest in the big 330 pounder, but so have many other clubs. It would be fortunate for the team have Williams fall to them, and there are scenarios in which it could be possible. We can only wait and see...

2nd Round: RB Jonathan Dwyer, Georgia Tech

With Chargers moving up to the top of the second round, they are now in position to draft one of the highest rated workhorse running backs in this draft class. The team is in search of a physical runner who can carry the load and bring an aspect to the offense that the team has lacked: the ability to kill time off of the clock. As primarily a passing team, the Chargers need to bring in someone who can complement their air attack with a physical style of play and Jonathan Dwyer can do just that. At 5'11" 230lbs, Dwyer is a load of a back but also show the open field awareness to find holes in the defense and quickly churn up yards. The Chargers have met with Dwyer already and assuming they like what they see, he could be the guy for them at pick number 40.

3rd Round: CB Javier Arenas, Alabama

On talent alone, Arenas is a top 50 prospect. Not only was Arenas a very good cornerback at Alabama, earning all SEC honors, an All-America selection, as well being a semifinalist for the Jim Thorpe Award, but he was also a dynamic return man. His seven punt returns for touchdowns is an SEC record, and he also holds the total punt return yardage record as well. What the 5'9" 195lbs Javier Arenas lacks in size he makes up for with his love for the game and his versatility and willingness to help his team in any way he can. The Chargers love players who can contribute on special teams, and Arenas would certainly bring value there, along with being an almost perfect fit as a nickelback.

4th Round: OT Selvish Capers, West Virginia

A former tight-end turned Offensive Tackle, Selvish Capers is an impressive physical specimen with excellent mobility. However Capers could stand to bulk up as he is a bit light for his frame and position. Nonetheless, with development Capers does appear to be capable of playing tackle in the NFL. The Chargers like their mix of centers and guards, but lack true depth at the tackle position. Capers would be a nice developmental prospect at a premium position and could potentially be a starter down the road.

5th Round: QB Jonathan Crompton, Tennessee

The Chargers are now without quarterback Charlie Whitehurst, and have admitted taht they'd like to draft a young replacement. Jonathan Crompton never quite lived up to expectations but he does have prototype physical attributes and followed up a decent senior season with an impressive pro day. He figures to go off the board in the mid rounds and could be a steal in the fifth.

5th Round: RB Lonyae Miller, Fresno State

The Fresno State Bulldogs excelled at running the ball in a pro-style offense, and Ryan Matthews was certainly a big reason why but his teammate Lonyae Miller often goes overlooked. Miller rushed for over 2000 yards in his four years at Fresno State and maintained an average of 5.5 yards per carry. With an excellent size and speed ratio of 5'11" 221lbs with 4.5 speed, Miller projects to be a solid pro. He'd be a welcome addition to a bleak San Diego backfield.

7th Round: TE Nate Byham, Pittsburgh

At 6'4" 265lbs, Byham is an intimidating figure as a tight end and grades out highly as a blocking specialist. Playing at Pitt under the tutelage of former NFL head coach Dave Wannstedt, one would assume Byham would be able to quickly grasp blocking assignments and help early.

YOUR TAKE

Do you have a mock you'd like to share? Post it in the comments section below!

March 26, 2010

Chris said... Mar 26, 2010, 1:47:00 PM

Rob, love this mock draft except for Dwyer. I know there is mutual love between the Chargers and J. Dwyer, but he comes from a funky offense and has freakishly small hands.

another bone to pick, Charlie Whitehurst played at Clemson.

other than that, great work!

Rob Zepeda said... Mar 26, 2010, 1:53:00 PM

Thanks Chris, total brainfart on my part.

Rob Zepeda said... Mar 26, 2010, 1:57:00 PM

BTW, I think the Chargers could go a number of different directions at running back with guys like Montario Hardesty and Ben Tate all in the mix at 40

Anonymous said... Mar 26, 2010, 2:52:00 PM

I like that you are trying to mix it up in these mocks. The RB possibilities for the Bolts are endless. Tough to see AJ sticking to any "expected" script, since he goes off his own ideas. That's why, since so many mocks feature Matthews / Cody to Bolts, I have a hard time thinking it will happen. Either or both. I think Dwyer is in a free fall, so I would be surprised to see us leap at him at 40, but that might just be why Aj could do the unexpected.
Twitter @BrandScottK

Rob Zepeda said... Mar 26, 2010, 3:22:00 PM

@BrandScottK thanks for the feedback! It's true, I am trying to mix it up and go down the various roads to see how the cookie might crumble.

I agree with you, Matthews/Cody is an unlikely pairing if AJ's past tells us anything, it's that he wont do what everyone expects him to.

Anonymous said... Mar 26, 2010, 4:26:00 PM

I am a very positive person but this may be the worst mock draft I have ever seen. I'll make it brief. 1. Dan Williams will not be available. Anybody who knows draft analysis will know dan Williams is projected in the early to mid first rd and will likely be picked by Miami. Lasting to 28 is heavily unlikely. As for dwyer..Ha!!!! He may be there when we pick in the 3rd rd. He isn't in the top 7 of rb's in this years draft. Spiller, mathews, best, Tate, hardesty and gerhardt are all better backs. Don't believe me... Watch the tape.

Anonymous said... Mar 26, 2010, 4:50:00 PM

How would you know that D-Wall won't be there? And who is to say AJ wont trade up if thats his guy? And for the record Rob isnt the only guy who has us taking Dan Williams at 28:

Anonymous said... Mar 26, 2010, 6:32:00 PM

I believe we will address cb and rb with our first 2 picks... 2 guys I like are kyle wilson and devin macourty, and as far as rb I really like matthews, he is an all around good back and i could see him really fitting into our offense!!! if those cb's are not there I like d.williams but do not believe he is there for us, I really like brian price over cody...I could see cody blowing up to like 400 lbs so too much risk Imo for such a high pick!!!Dwyer will not be the pick imo...but if he is I am throwing my controller through my television,lol!!! good job though other than dwyer

Anonymous said... Mar 26, 2010, 7:21:00 PM

I loved your last mock. This one, however ... I agree with most of the posters that Dwyer sucks. A better value Power-Back would be Anthony Dixon or Charles Scott (maybe Gerhart). My guess is AJ won't be wowed enough to take Cody in the 1st and will draft another CB which he has a history of doing. He could shuffle picks around to move up and grab Dan Williams if he's sold on him also.

Anonymous said... Mar 26, 2010, 7:57:00 PM

I like this mock a lot like people have said before though dan Williams will most likely not be available at 28 unless he pulls a ronnie brown and gets a DUI if dan is available obviously take him but if he is not I say go with Ryan Williams. Even though they need a nose tackle Matthews is a much better value and will prove very effective with sproles. Also the chargers have two nose tackles that they really like. Taking a nose tackle that has a second round grade like terrence cody or cam Thomas will be stupid take Matthews if Williams is gone and get Cody in the second round and yes javier arenas would be a great steal he is an amazing corner

Anonymous said... Mar 26, 2010, 9:05:00 PM

Hands Down Rob Zepeda, You Are the Weakest Link! I would stop watching football if chargers drafted like this. I'm sure glad AJ is in the front office and not you. No wonder why your a writer and not a true analyist. Your skills are definately LACK there of. Ok enough said as your rock solid picks show it all. LMAO

ManiCanToo

Rob Zepeda said... Mar 26, 2010, 10:19:00 PM

@ManiCanToo I have no problem with you disagreeing with me but at least tell me where you have issue. As far as I can tell all positions where address with an effort to maximize the value of each position. I will admit that I have intentionally tried to draft a different position in the first round with each of my mock drafts in an effort to see the draft from different angles. I'd love to see what your draft mock looks like, please share.

For the record, any mock draft which includes Dan Williams would be a fantastic start.

SDDon said... Mar 27, 2010, 10:51:00 AM

I have lsied more than one option but my picks are in order of priority IMO by round.

1-28, Kyle Wison (CB), Mathews (RB), McCourty (CB)

***** Trade with Caralna our 40 and 91 for there 48, 78, and 175. Reason is there is a huge gap between our 2nd and 3rd round picks and I feel it will cause us to reach with the 40th and settle at 91 for a player of less talent at a position of need.

2-48, Veldheer (OT), Saffold (OT), Ducasse (OT)
3-78, Tate (RB) or Akasi Owusu-Ansah (CB) whichever position isn't taken in Round 1
4-126, Jamar Cheney (ILB), Pat Angerger (ILB)
5-159, Linvel Joseph (NT-DE)
5-168, Marcus Easley (WR-ST both gunner and return guy)
6-175, Nate Bynum (TE), M. Hoomanawawui (TE)
7-235, Callahan Bright (NT)

UDFA's
Travis Ivey (NT)
Brady Eldridge (TE)
Nate Overybay (TE)
LaMarcus Coker (RB)
Junior Galette (OLB)

The other factor is this is based on Sproles signing his tender and staying with the team for next season. This would change some if he was traded which BTW, I am in favor of.

Anonymous said... Mar 27, 2010, 1:17:00 PM

A.J. will pick Gerhardt in the second round. He has already shown that he will reach for players that have a great work ethic and who are (just being honest about A.J.) white, as evidenced by him trading up to get Jacob Hester and Eric Weddle. This time however, I think that drafting Gerhardt would be the right call as I feel he is way underrated in this draft.

Anonymous said... Mar 27, 2010, 1:27:00 PM

well, ryan mathews is light-skinned; does that count? jk

Anonymous said... Mar 27, 2010, 11:35:00 PM

A) Dan Williams will NOT FALL TO US!!! He could go as high as 5 to KC!
B) Jonathan Dwyer stinks! He's heavy footed, and slow. He's the RB version of Tim Tebow with that stupid gimic scheme.
C) Arenas is small and slow....bad combination for an NFL corner.
D) Selvish Capers is soft, we need to improve our rushing offense, bad fit.
E) Miller is VERY thin for 220lbs. He's not that explosive, he dances too much, he only hits the BIG holes.

Other than Crompton and Byham this is the worst mock I've seen yet. Your painfully ignorant, your like an uninformed meatball fan with a forum to spout his crap on.

YellowJacketGT said... Mar 27, 2010, 11:57:00 PM

I wish I could push a mute button on all of you sheep, or should I say Dwyer haters. Heavy-footed? This guy didn't get run down in the ACC, he was running AWAY from people to the tune of 1300 yards in back-to-back years and would have won conference honors if not for CJ Spiller. I swear some of you "expert" cementers form hard-ons for ONE player and hate on all the rest. Talk about the total opposite of what REAL NFL personnel people do.

This guy never missed a game due to injury, had only like 5 fumbles in over 500 carries, and is probably one of the best tackle-breakers among all the RBs in this class. You haters make me want to puke!!

Anonymous said... Mar 28, 2010, 12:38:00 AM

nathan vasher!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! forget drafting a corner

Anonymous said... Mar 28, 2010, 12:21:00 PM

Response to Dwyer-Fan:

Among draft-able RBs ...
Tiny hands (maybe the smallest of everybody in the draft)
He'll fumble and drop passes against the defenses of the NFL
Tied for lowest reps on the Bench (and he doesn't have long arms either)
Apparently, this "power back" hasn't been in the weight room much
Ran a 4.64 in the 40yd dash (other RBs that slow are 5th rd projections)
Slowest in the 10yd and second slowest in the 20yd dash
Not fast or quick for any distance
Lowest Broad Jump and tied for lowest Vertical
Not explosive
Slowest in the Shuttle and Cone Drills
Not agile

I'm not saying your Combine performance makes you a great player but if you're the worst at your position at the Combine (by far) in every category including your freak-hands, your college production doesn't mean much, especially in a gimmicky offense that gave you gaping holes.

Jason said... Mar 28, 2010, 3:06:00 PM

I was with you until you said the words Jonathan Crompton. Dude, I've watched SEC football for the past 10 years and have never seen a more underachieving QB. Yes, he LOOKS like an NFL QB...but every time I've seen him, I'm absolutely floored by how bad he is.
Arenas would be a steal in the 3rd, especially if Sproles is gone after this year. Great PR, can step in right away in nickel/dime coverage....what's not to like?

Jay said... Mar 29, 2010, 2:25:00 PM

chargers sign nathan vasher!

Anonymous said... Mar 29, 2010, 5:00:00 PM

i like the dan williams and crompton pick but i think we should wait to get blount in the 4th or 5th round. his stock has dropped because of off the field issues but noone doubts his on the field ability

Anonymous said... Mar 29, 2010, 8:28:00 PM

I would love for Dan Williams to fall to 28, but other than a trade up in the draft, I don't see him as a SD Charger.. I like Tate, hardesty, Gerhart over Dwyer!! I think Tate could be as good, if not better than Rudi Johnson.. But because of the recent manuvering of moving up in the 2nd round, I think AJ's draft would go alittle like this..

1st rd: Ryan Matthews, RB
2nd rd: Cam Thomas, NT(if Cody is gone)
3rd rd: Daryl Washington, LB
4th rd: Jerome Murphy, DB
5th rd: Kyle Calloway, OT
5th rd: Tony Pike, QB
7th rd: Jimmy Graham, TE
7th rd or FA: Stafon Johnson, RB

Where's the Draft Party happening this year at??

~Chico

Jeff said... Mar 30, 2010, 7:38:00 PM

don't know too much about our later rounds but i think with our first 2 rounds we might go the route of

1. Terrence Cody
2. Ben Tate

Not hearing a lot of buzz about Ben Tate but he put up great numbers at the combine and his tape is pretty good. Don't forget he played in the SEC and is coming out of Auburn which is running back U.

what do you guys think?

Chris said... Mar 30, 2010, 7:58:00 PM

Weighing in again a little late, but i like Ben Tate. Hardesty is good but he is better suited for a Zone Blocking team (cant really call what we do power blocking but it is what we try to do) Gerhart, Tate, Dixon, Dwyer, and Mathews all fit the bill for our team. I really do not want nor see Mathews dropping to us at no. 28. the only concerns for Gerhart is that he carries the ball high (he's 6'1") and doesn't get too low therefore exposing his legs which NFL caliber LB's will take advantage of.

I can also see us trading our 2nd round pick down for a swap and another 3rd rounder. Seeing as how there is a day between 1st and 2nd rounds there will be a lot of trade talk.

If Dan Williams isn't avaliable we have to get Cody. His massive frame is perfect for us and he has shown to drop weight when he needs to. The only

I do NOT see us drafting a CB in the first 4 rounds seeing as how we have signed 2 already this offseason.

Anonymous said... Mar 31, 2010, 4:14:00 PM

I think we should definately draft Dwyer. He has caught plenty of passes at his pro day. He can run guys over, sometimes it takes more than one guy to take him down, he would have no problem running the ball up the middle, and has very few fumbles. Matthews wouldn't get as much yardage with the running plays that we run. We need somebody that break tackles, and Dwyer is probably the best rb in this years draft that can. As for NT, now I'm on the fence with Cody. Cody seems like a true NT, but his work ethic is questionable. Cody is better at stuffing the run than Dan Williams. Dan is better at rushing the passer, but is inconsistant at stuffing the run. Just my 2 cents

Anonymous said... Apr 1, 2010, 4:52:00 PM

speaking of running between the tackles, Gerhardt would be a good fit for this offense

Anonymous said... Apr 14, 2010, 10:35:00 AM

How about:
1) Brian Price-DE(move Vaughn Martin inside)
2) Gerhart-RB
3) Kyle Calloway-OT(had a DUI, but it was on a moped; and he wont last till the fifth round)
4) Torrell Troup - DT
5) Nate Byham-TE
6) Sean Canfield-QB
7) Stafon Johnson-RB

Chris said... Apr 14, 2010, 7:27:00 PM

Brian Price was reportedly out of shape and looked sluggish in private workouts. He's seen as a DT in 4-3 Defenses only. Vaughn Martin is also better suited at 3-4 DE and not DT/NT, just my opinion.

Destructo said... Apr 16, 2010, 2:34:00 PM

It will not be Crompton. Mark my words they are picking Matt Nichols from Eastern Washington at QB. He killed at his private workout and follow-up interview. Phillip Rivers even told him "see you shortly after the draft." His collegiate numbers are off the charts...