Chargers Trade Charlie Whitehurst And Move Up In The Draft

The San Diego Chargers have traded third-string quarterback Charlie Whitehurst to the Seattle Seahawks.

The Seahawks were interested in Charlie Whitehurst as soon as the Chargers tendered him at only a third round value. But without a pick in the third round, Seattle was going to need to be creative to make this trade happen.

Seattle and San Diego exchanged draft positions in the second round, moving the Chargers up to the 40th pick overall with Seattle moving down to the 60th slot.

Additionally, the Chargers will also receive a third round pick in 2011 from Seattle.

When you add this all up, it appears the Chargers are walking away with a kings ransom, while Seattle hopes Whitehurst can develop into their starter of the future.

SOURCE: ESPN.com

March 17, 2010

Eddie said... Mar 17, 2010, 3:47:00 PM

I think both teams scored. Seattle has 2 pick in the first round. They are assured of two impact players. So trading position in the second round isn't that big of a deal. The Chargers move up to have a better chance to pick Cody. The 3rd pick in 2011 is fair. Why? Because the Chargers groomed Whitehurst, he is more than ready to start.

Anonymous said... Mar 17, 2010, 3:58:00 PM

yee its about time i heard some good news for the bolts

Anonymous said... Mar 17, 2010, 4:15:00 PM

the chargers now have the opportunity to not only address runningback but nose tackle as Well the teams that pick between the chargers first round pick and second round pick seem to have no need at runningback which means the chargers can not only choose their best nose tackle available but also the best runningback available in their board. I hope they not only get terrence Cody/ brian price but also can get Ryan Matthews/ jahvid best. Now they just need to get another cornerback but with signing donald strickland they have even more depth and a third round choice will not be bad

Anonymous said... Mar 17, 2010, 5:24:00 PM

First of all I would try to traded sproles for a high second pick. With a great running game teams would not know how to stop us way too many weapons. There would be no way to stop this offense period!!!!!!!!!

1. Javid Best or Ryan Matthews (most important need establish run game)
2. Terrance Cody or Brian Price
2. Tyson Alualu (this guy fits perfect in our defense of scheme stop the run and let the linebacker get the sack somehow we need to find a way to get this outstanding football player maybe trading sproles)
3. Lagerrett Blout (A beast power back we need to make we have successful running games)
4. Myron Rolle (SS or nickel back has a nose for the ball very smart kid)
5. Joique Bell (gamble pick)
6.7. address OL

Neoplatonist Bolthead said... Mar 17, 2010, 5:27:00 PM

Bravo all around!

Anonymous said... Mar 17, 2010, 5:55:00 PM

This is a sweet deal for the Bolts. AJ finally worked some of that magic again. Moving up in 2nd round is huge especially with a fat draft. And getting a 3rd next year is huge too. We will likely be without services of at least two or more of our highest tendered players in 2011 (that is McNeill, Sproles, Jackson, Floyd, or Merriman.) We seriously need picks this year and next to fill the void. Based on spending limitations we will always build through the draft.
JMZ

Anonymous said... Mar 17, 2010, 8:53:00 PM

It looks like the Bolts will be dominating the third round in 2011. I guess teams were more willing to trade away their picks for 2011 because this draft class is so deep. With so many underclassmen coming out this year, does this mean that next year's draft won't be as good?

With picks 28 and 40, the Bolts should definitely be able to get 2 players ready to start on day 1...I'm hoping for Best and Alualu so I can keep cheering for my favorite Cal Bears.

Ray said... Mar 17, 2010, 9:02:00 PM

Whitehurst is ready to start? LOL.... Whitehurst stinks and i would of been happy to get a 7th round pick for him. Feels like Christmas with this trade.

Anonymous said... Mar 17, 2010, 11:27:00 PM

I'm so happy about this trade. I'm licking my chops hoping we land king Tyce.

I called in earlier blog!

lighting 72 good vibes

Anonymous said... Mar 18, 2010, 1:39:00 AM

Great news and great move by AJ. I say we go NT in the late 1st round and RB in early 2nd. I really like Best, plus he should be available.. his speed and ability to break tackles on the outside makes him a very solid playmaker.
will

Jeff Williams said... Mar 18, 2010, 7:15:00 AM

Nice steal AJ! A 3rd round pick was too much for the most irrelevant player on our roster, and we did better than that! Personally, I want a NT in the first and an OL in the 2nd.

Anonymous said... Mar 18, 2010, 12:40:00 PM

Now that we lucked out with Charlie White Hurst being traded to Seattle lets discuss RB draft prospects.

I desire is that AJ is looking at these players and in this order. These are my intuitional picks only but my intuition is real good.

1. CJ Spiller for Heisman '09 “just look at his highlight videos”
2. Jahvid Best (Cal) .... Wow!! He can do it all (break away speed, protects ball well, Razor cuter, extremely good with regard to the pass. An all around athlete. Mr. Best can be used on special teams, screen plays and RB position. Didn’t have time to watch all his highlights.

3. Charles Scott (LSU)…low center of gravity, down hill runner breakaway speed and pure power up the middle. (He reminds me of our beloved M. Turner except this guy is much faster. I really like this guy he seems to be a durable back designed for the NFL.

4. Ryan Matthews (Fresno State)… Break away speed. I don’t know if he can catch as well as Jahvid Best. I initially liked him till I viewed the other 3 backs.

A factor one should consider is at what the level of competition these guys played against. I know this sound a little nutty, but I would draft two backs from this group if I could. No wonder they say this years draft is great for RB’s.

Lighting 72

Jay said... Mar 18, 2010, 12:46:00 PM

AJ actually looks kind of smart after this trade. After all he does know what he is doing. He knows that if the bolts lose Merriman next season they have English (this year he will get more PT). Also if he takes a good running back this year and fills in some other holes Sporales leaving next year wont be so bad.

Doesnt that make 3 3rd round picks for 2011? (one may turn into a 2nd rd. Sounds good!)

Daniel said... Mar 18, 2010, 5:35:00 PM

We get more from Whitehurst than from Cromarte!? lol

Jeff said... Mar 18, 2010, 10:23:00 PM

I trust A.J. with what he's doing. I think the 2011 draft, he's thinking ahead and possibly wants to pick up someone of importance for the team.

rudy said... Mar 19, 2010, 12:09:00 AM

Whitehurst for a 3rd rounder in 2011 and we moved up in the second round this year???kinda makes u feel like we gave Cro away for peanuts...now i thought to myself we need a good productive rb((young with not alot of milage and proven))so im thinking...since now we have 3 picks next year in the 3rd round why dont we give one of these three teams a 3rd round pick for there rbs....cowboys,panthers or titians...we could give up a 3rd rounder for Choice,de angelo williams or lendale white...what would we lose??we'd still have a two picks left in the 3rd round...And am I the only person that wonders what is buster davis still doing in san diego??i mean he cant stay healty and he hasnt proven anything...atleast Cro played and was good((didnt tackle good))but u get my drift....

Anonymous said... Mar 19, 2010, 4:00:00 AM

Or think aboun this.... We trade a 3rd and 1st round pick for a top ten pick and draft mark ingram lol he woul d be great as a bolt... Possibly even surpass lt

Jay said... Mar 19, 2010, 9:17:00 AM

@anon: that was the same thing I was thinking last night. Next year we can ship our first and one of the many third round picks for a top ten. which could turn out to be Mark Ingram. But we need to focus on this season first. Get the pieces together. If you think about we dont have "many" holes to fill. We just need a RB, hope our CB's tackle and a NT

Anonymous said... Mar 19, 2010, 10:56:00 AM

Just saw Ben Tate's highlights on youtube. Everyone should chck it out. I say Ben Tate 3rd round. CB in the 1st. Cody in the 2nd.

Mark said... Mar 19, 2010, 11:12:00 AM

Great Move by AJ. I think this is going to be a great draft that takes care of a lot of our needs. This move was long overdue, but it seems like we got the better of it. I guess AJ originally drafted Charlie in case if Rivers flopped. No worries now!

One note in regards to the CB position, I wonder if AJ has considered signing Adam "Pacman" Jones. If the talent is still there, he would be a great replacement for Cro. I know- y'all are saying replace one bad boy with another BUT this dude is walking Roger Godell's tightrope and isn't likely to go astray if he cares about his career. But the key is if the talent is still there and the price is- low. I heard the Lions and 49ers are interested on ESPN. But maybe at this point, Cason better served to take over.

Anonymous said... Mar 20, 2010, 6:05:00 PM

More for Whitehurst than Cro? Darn right. Cromartie has a lot of baggage. Legal & personal. Nobody wanted to pay for him. He was on the block since 2008. The Jets are taking a serious gamble. Whitehurst been groomed by Norv. They say that Norv is a heck of QB coach.

Eddie said... Mar 20, 2010, 6:09:00 PM

Now if we can pick up Tebow in the later rounds, we can groom him for 2 years than trade him for a #1 & #3 picks. He won't be an impact player, it will take him several years to use to working out of the pro set.

Anonymous said... Mar 20, 2010, 9:18:00 PM

Reality check: A.J. Smith must see a big difference in quality between CBs picked in the 1st rnd & 2nd rnd. He always pick a CB in the 1st. The Chargers do need one. so we can forget about Spiller & Mathews. They will be gone before the 2nd. In the 2nd round Cam Thomas NT. Than 3rd will be Ben Tate or Jonathan Dwyer.

Anonymous said... Mar 20, 2010, 10:42:00 PM

Regarding: "Cromartie has a lot of baggage. Legal and personal." at 6:05

Correction: Cro IS baggage. He is subtraction by addition, the biggest waste of talent since Jesus got out of the wedding catering business.
JLM

Anonymous said... Mar 22, 2010, 12:34:00 PM

U need to respect the King of Kings before u get checked. Don't mess with Jesus!

lighting 72