Lightning Strikes with Jeff Williams

Jeff touches on some of the recent San Diego Chargers news bits, including the trade of Charlie Whitehurst to the Seahawks, Jim Steeg moving on from the organization, the release of wide receiver Demetrius Byrd, and "Mount Cody" vising the Bolts on March 31st

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS ACQUIRE CHARLIE WHITEHURST

Charlie Whitehurst is officially a Seahawk, and it seems that the only person who thinks that was a good trade for Seattle may be Pete Carrol and GM John Schneider. In the deal, the Seahawks received the best 3rd string QB in the NFL (is that like being the best XFL football team?), and swapped 2nd round picks with the Chargers, who moved up 20-spots and also received the 'Hawks 3rd rounder in 2011. Reaction to the trade leaned largely in the Chargers favor, with most NFL analysts wondering why Pete Carroll and company valued Whitehurst so highly. Even AJ Smith acknowledged that the Chargers "just fell into it," making me believe that Seattle made them an offer that was better than was expected.

COO/VP JIM STEEG RESIGNS

Chargers executive vice president and COO Jim Steeg resigned after five years with the team. Steeg was well regarded in the NFL for being both professional and personable, and for his dedication to the sport at both the team and league level. Anytime that I've heard Steeg speak he always seemed friendly and truly interested in what the fans had to say. Still, under Steeg ticket prices shot up, the cost for parking shot up, and the price for many concessions increased. It seems that Steeg was good for the team, but how good was he for fans? Never fear, A.G. Spanos, son of Dean, will fill the void left by Steeg. It makes me wonder how long it will be before the next Spanos assumes another big leadership role on the Chargers. Could John Spanos, General Manager, be far behind?

CHARGERS RELEASE DEMETRIUS BYRD

The Chargers released 2009 draft pick Demetrius Byrd. Byrd, who was severely injured in a car accident prior to the draft, was a bit of a reach even in the 7th round, but was well taken care of by the Chargers while on the team. Still, the Chargers don't have the luxury of hanging on to a player who won't play this season and may never play a down in the NFL.

TERRENCE CODY TO VISIT SAN DIEGO

Terrence Cody, the Alabama nose tackle who some project to be picked in the first round, is scheduled to visit the Chargers in San Diego. The one time 400-pound player was a disappointment at the Senior Bowl after weighing in at 370-pounds, and his weight has been closely scrutinized ever since. With the more weight he loses, the better his chances are of sticking in the first round and possibly earning the Chargers' first round draft pick. What is your take? Should the Chargers select a player like Cody in the first round, or will they have better options?

March 22, 2010

Chris said... Mar 22, 2010, 10:10:00 PM

First off, the Whitehurst trade was an all out STEAL. the Chargers likely had a 2nd round switch in mind and Seattle threw in next years 3rd. Who knew he was worth so much? Guess preseason means something after all.

Secondly, I was big on DByrd, and it's sad to see him go. The writing was on the wall though with LT and Jamal being released and he knew it. I really hope he gets his health turned around and can make it with some team.

Lastly, I think NT is our biggest need even though we only have 2 RB's on the team that aren't starters. I really hope we get Dan Williams or Mt. Cody. Cody seems the likely one of the two that is going to be available at No. 28. He also has tried really hard to get his weight under control. It takes hard work like that in the NFL to make it. Dan Williams has ?'s on being a one year wonder and that's why I think Cody would be a better fit for SD. I really hope we don't blow our pick it on Ryan Mathews or Jahvid Best who both have a list of previous injuries. DE is another need but i really hope we address the NT position first and foremost in the draft.

Jay said... Mar 23, 2010, 7:42:00 AM

browns want to select colt mccoy, possibly even at the end of rd 1. they might package up some picks and trade it for a late 1st round pick. what do you guys think if the chargers were to accept such a trade?

Jason said... Mar 23, 2010, 2:01:00 PM

Chris, I agree...it was an absolute steal for us, but what does that say about the value of non-elite QBs in the NFL? It seems like everyone without an elite QB is grasping at straws, good for us.

I was hoping Byrd would make it, but it doesn't seem that way.

I'm a BIG Tide fan, but I'm suspicious about Mt. Cody at the NFL level. He has battled weight issues ever since high school, and has been in Saban's doghouse a lot because of this...what's going to control him once he gets a first round deal? I don't see the Chargers taking him because of discipline problems, AJ does not like question marks in the first round.
OTOH, I'd be really excited if they did take him and cross my fingers because he absolutely Dominated SEC OLs. He was an automatic double team and sometimes a triple....I'm torn on this.

Jason said... Mar 23, 2010, 2:42:00 PM

Jay, if the price is right, AJ will take it, maybe a second rounder this year and a second and third next year? I think it kinda depends on the first round and how it happens.

Chris said... Mar 23, 2010, 7:41:00 PM

Jason, the thing about Cody though is that he slimmed down 20-30 Lbs. from the Senior Bowl to the Combine. that's not a lot of time and that's a huge commitment, and even though he has battled weight issues since high school, you still have to applaud the hard work there. Cam Thomas is another name to look out for if we go RB in the first round or DE. I have been torn on Cody but at this point he seems like the 2 Gap NT that we really need for Merriman and Phillips to get the sacks they are accustomed to.

As far as trading down goes, I don't see us giving up our 1st rounder for that. Maybe the second round switch we pulled off will allow us to trade THAT down. AJ has been known the past couple of years trading up to that spot (Weddle, and Hester) so maybe its the year where he trades down from that. There has been a mutual love between Dwyer and SD so for a package of picks it would allow us to secure some needs and not one but 2 RB's. Just a thought.

Anonymous said... Mar 24, 2010, 10:37:00 AM

I'm out of my league here I just desire that they pick guys with leadership and character. With Jamal leaving and Merriman still up in the air. Lets go out and get LSU's rb Charles Scott.

Lighting 72

Anonymous said... Mar 24, 2010, 10:45:00 AM

I'm out of my league here I just desire that they pick guys with leadership and character. With Jamal leaving and Merriman still up in the air. I still like the LSU rb Charles Scott.

Lighting 72

Anonymous said... Mar 24, 2010, 5:51:00 PM

Do not take cody with the 28th pick! 370 pounds at the senior bowl tells me, he wanted to see if nfl teams will except him for his weight. WE DON'T PICK GUYS WHO ARE JUST TRYING TO GET BYE!!!!!!!! So he looses the weight just to get a bigger pay-day come draft day. If know one knows yet after Ryan Leaf, bust is some one who has all the great tools need, so you rush to make the pick just to find out there was nothing there. Cody has BUST WRITEN ALL OVER HIM AND WE'RE NOT THE RAIDERS! Take Odrick, if he isn't there take Mathews.

Anonymous said... Mar 30, 2010, 10:17:00 AM

well, if you see how they played without jamal williams (after 4-5 games, late in the season, when this whole rotation thing got into a rhythm), i dont see that big of a need at NT, at least not in the first round.

i would tend to say the same for RB. you can get the absolute prototype for what the chargers are looking for in the 2nd or in the 3rd round (gerhardt, tate, ...). so after all, i am not sure what they will do in the first.

maybe someone to "fix" the right side of the OLINE. could also be a beast of a guard or a good run blocking tackle. maybe just for a rotational role on 1st down or so for this season and get the RT of the future.

but i wouldnt rule out a total surprise with the best player available. they know better what the team looks from inside (injuries, contracts, etc). but after the draft, we should have ready-to-go RG/RT, an addition to the DLINE, a big RB, a backup TE (if kris wilson isnt the answer, not sure), S, LB (merriman may be gone next year, lot of injuries in the whole LB corps) and a return man. keep sproles to block and for the screens.

feihlination