2010 NFL Draft: Thoughts On The Chargers Early Direction

With the 2010 NFL Draft just a handful of days away, the San Diego Chargers are zeroing in on their approach come draft day(s). As they grade the players and arrange their board, let's take this opportunity to postulate how the early rounds will go for the Bolts.

ROUND ONE

PICK: Best defensive player available (CB, DT, DE) - If the Chargers choose to sit and wait for their pick at 28 in the first round, I think the best option here would be to select the best defensive player available as ranked on their board. Certainly the Chargers greatest draft need is running back, but that does not necessarily predicate the selection of a running back with their first choice. AJ Smith has always approached his drafts valuing running backs in the middle rounds, and he likely won't deviate too much from that philosophy.

The Chargers greatest opportunity for improvement from last year to this year would be defensively. With the departure of Jamal Williams, Antonio Cromartie, and the uncertainty surrounding Shawne Merriman's long-term future with San Diego, the Chargers may be faced with the daunting task of replacing three Pro Bowl players on defense. Not resigning Igor Olshansky has proved to be a mistake, and the Chargers still have not successfully replaced him. As much as I have been disappointed with the lack of 'want-to' in Antonio Cromartie, I didn't necessarily think it was the best decision to move him at this juncture. How is your defense any better without young, talented cornerbacks? Hopefully Antonie Cason, Nathan Vasher, and Donald Strickland will help shore up the secondary, but don't rule out a cornerback in round one. In what is increasingly becoming a passing league, teams are desperate for good cornerbacks.

ROUND TWO

PICK: Running Back - It is likely going to be in round two where the Chargers draft their primary running back of the future. The top of round two will be a fantastic place to find a legitimate workhorse running back and will provide tremendous value as well in regards to contract size. If the Chargers stay at 40, they'll likely have their pick of running backs not named CJ Spiller - Ryan Matthews, Jonathan Dwyer, Jahvid Best, Ben Tate, and Montario Hardesty could all be available there at the top of round two. While AJ Smith typically waits until the third, fourth, and fifth rounds to start targeting running backs, this year is obviously different. Running Back is the team's most obvious need so it's likely the Chargers pick one early.

ROUND THREE

PICK: Best offensive or defensive lineman available (OT, DT, DE) - The Chargers have obvious needs along their defensive line, and could also use help at offensive tackle. Current starters Marcus McNeill and Jeromey Clary are playing on one year tenders and do not have long-term deals in place, making their futures as San Diego Chargers questionable at this point. Additionally, the Chargers are very thin at offensive tackle and could use depth there. If the Chargers don't draft a running back in the first two rounds, they will have no choice but to draft one in the third round otherwise they'd be putting the offense in severe jeopardy. The third round is also a good place to find a developmental nose tackle prospect, so the Chargers could look at a Cam Thomas, Terrell Troup, or Linval Joseph here.

YOUR TAKE

We've outlined how we envision the first three rounds to play out for the Chargers, what's your take on the situation. What positions do you think the Chargers will be targeting in rounds one, two, and three? Sound off in the comments section below!

April 19, 2010

Chris said... Apr 19, 2010, 12:15:00 AM

i think NT has to be addressed with our first pick. RB Is a big need but everyone keeps forgetting, we are a passing team!! Therefore addressing that position would be better suited with a trade so we can get BPA(OT or Def.) with our 2nd round pick and then with our 3rd rounder select a diamond in the rough RB prospect.

isaac said... Apr 19, 2010, 2:00:00 AM

Personally I think the best possible thing that could happen is a Cleaveland trade

#28(chargers)= #38+#71+3rd pk(2011)

than trade

Sproles= #56(packers 2nd rd pk)

Draft
#38(T-Browns)- Terrance Cody NT(hell probably still be there)
#40- Linval Joseph- NT/DE versitile would solidify our DL
#56(T-Packers)-Toby Gearheart(RB)- hard nosed downhill runner we need
#71(T-Browns)-Joe Mcknight(RB)- explosive back Reggie Bush clone.
#91-Myron Lewis- CB/FS long lean safety with potential.
#126- Kyle Calloway- RT
#159- Donario alexander WR
#168- Colin Peek TE

Jason said... Apr 19, 2010, 6:02:00 AM

I'd love to see the Bolts trade down and get more picks, but it seems that the draft is real deep this year and everyone else is trying to do the same thing. Assuming no trades, I agree that RB can wait till round 2 or even 3.
I'm a BIG Tide fan, but I just have a BAD feeling about Cody at the NFL level...this guy has "injury list" written all over him. If he's still around at #40, I think we can take him because of his big-time potential. Not at #28.
It's really going to come down to who falls to us at #28. There are a million different ways it could go. I think AJ takes the BPA at either CB, DL, or OL. This draft has the potential to be the most entertaining ever!

Jason said... Apr 19, 2010, 6:12:00 AM

Much as I'd love to see us trade down for more picks, I don't think that's gonna happen because everyone else seems to be doing the same thing. Can anyone remember a draft where there seems to be so little dropoff in talent in the first 2 rounds?
I'm a BIG Tide fan, but I've got a bad feeling about Cody...he's got "injury list" written all over him. He'd be worth a shot at #40, not at #28 IMO.
I agree that RB can wait till the later rounds, I think AJ takes BPA on D or OL at #28. It's gonna be riveting because there's a million different ways the draft can go before then.

Jason said... Apr 19, 2010, 6:13:00 AM

OOPS, sorry for the double post, didn't think the first one took.

Anonymous said... Apr 19, 2010, 7:53:00 AM

I'm pretty much in agreement here with everyone. I'd like to see them get Dan Williams but they'd probably have to give up a ton to move up. I think Alualu would be a good 1st round pick to shore up the opposite side of the line of Castillo. Then in the 2nd get either Cam Thomas, Lindval Joseph or Troup. Then go RB in the 3rd round and if need be use a 3rd from next year to select earlier in the third. Perhaps on Tate, Dixon or Hardesty.

Los said... Apr 19, 2010, 9:24:00 AM

I think OLB is more of a need than CB this year. Jammer has atleast 2 more seasons left, Cason is ready, Hughes, Vahser and stickland are are competing for the nickel spot and maybe even a starting spot if Cason or Jammer go down or can't get the job done. Next year's CB class is much better than this years so i think we wait. OLB on the other hand is a position we won't have much time to wait for. We're banking on English coming through when we let Merriman go so we're "set" there but the other side has Phillips and he's holding down the position well but i don't think he has many seasons left and Holt and Harris are back-ups nothing more. I think it makes sense for use to draft an OLB who we believe can develop behing Phillips. So, with that said here's a little compliation of my thoughts on our direction in the draft.

1)Jared Odrick or Jerry Hughes
2)Jonothan Dwyer or Ben Tate
3)Koa Misi or Torrel Troup
4)Ed Wang or Kyle Calloway

Anonymous said... Apr 19, 2010, 11:41:00 AM

I don't know if AJ will be taking J. Dwyer anymore? Dude, just tested positive for Speed!!

Rob Zepeda said... Apr 19, 2010, 11:54:00 AM

Dwyer tested positive for drugs he's used all his life to help with ADD...all the teams know this and it wont affect his draft status.

Anonymous said... Apr 19, 2010, 12:10:00 PM

Please draft a nose tackle. Please draft a nose tackle. Please draft a nose tackle.

Watching everyone run right up the middle was a nightmare. Get someone to fill that hole.

Please!

Anonymous said... Apr 19, 2010, 12:31:00 PM

Doesn't anyone think the Chargers will no longer use a 3-4 base? You don't get rid of a good 3-4 NT, regardless of his injury before you have a replacement that can learn from the former NT. I think the Chargers will use a base 4-3 and go to a Tampa 2 much like Rivera used before. Vasher signing anyone, hint hint. The zone is a better comfort level for Jammer, who gets burned often when in man to man, and why else would we have so much 4-3 personnel on the d line? Enlgish, last years 1st pick fits the 4-3 not the 3-4. I believe Aj will use the first pick on D but not a NT because that position is no longer needed in the 4-3. Look for him to draft a DB to solidify the secondary.

Anonymous said... Apr 19, 2010, 7:44:00 PM

If we'er a passing team, why didn't we beat a running team. We need to match fire with fire with any team. Mathews, gerhart and tate are the only backs that fit. Big guys with speed. If Mathews doesn't fall to 28, Tate or gerhart are more likley, but 40 would be to high. We need another pick between 50 and 40 where you can get one of those guys. Then you get your 2 big D guys at 28, 40 and your dream back. Note: if you get a big back you need to keep sproles wich then would make no sence to get McCourty at 28.

Calgary Chargers Fan said... Apr 19, 2010, 9:00:00 PM

I like the idea of drafting a Big D lineman in the first because we all watched that 4th and 2 vs the Jets and know if we had someone in the middle T. Jones wouldn't have done us like that. In A.J we trust, and he has a good track record so I'm excited for thursday

Anonymous said... Apr 19, 2010, 11:42:00 PM

I really don't know what you guys are talking about. We need a Run Game to be the best in the league. Our defense is not really that bad. If we can get Aluala in the 2rd we will be much better on defense period and Merriman the OLB I know we are going to be on top of our game again. I really thing the rotation at nose would be ok one more year. Pick up a veteran in the second wave to help at nose. I think our secondary is pretty good.
1) Ryan Matthews or Javid Best
2) Tyson Aluala move up if we have to
2) Terrance cody or Cam Thomas (trade Spoles period to much money)
3) Lagarrette Blout or trade with the bills for Marshawn Lynch
4) Myron Rolle Florida State FS/CB
5) OL or QB
6) OL or QB
7) OL

Chris said... Apr 19, 2010, 11:53:00 PM

@Anon

moving to the 4-3 defense is interesting. i thought of the same thing last year when Jwall went down. It would certainly be interesting, and Rivera might have already considered it.

Isaac said... Apr 20, 2010, 3:27:00 AM

I do not think that we will be moving to the 4-3 mainly because we do not have any pure pass rushing DE. Merriman Phillips and even applewhit and Tucker are more linebacker types.

as for a NT I really like the idea of spending both #28 and #40 on DL help to solidify our defense. we have plenty of ammo to trade into the late 2nd or early 3rd for a RB maybe 2 like Joe Mcknight and Anthony Dixon.

#28 Linval Joseph( he can play both DE and NT)
#40 T.Cody/Alualu/C. Thomas

Anonymous said... Apr 20, 2010, 9:35:00 AM

I'm Glad we can stop guessing in two more days because, this is driving me crazy!!! As a Charger fan I just want to WIN a SUPERBOWL and I'm with whatever it'll take to get us to that SB. I believe AJ has been Scratching on the past few drafts and he needs to come up big in this years draft!

I read a post about us switching to a 4-3... very interesting but... we'll see. I think we do need to deal Sproles and get an extra pick and possibly even Jackson... There are a ton of options it makes me nuts. I believe we need more picks in rounds 2-4 and this can get very interesting come 2010.

ManiCanToo

Anonymous said... Apr 21, 2010, 10:57:00 PM

We need defence first. DB then some huge guy for the line. then a running back or someone for the O line. The chargers are a passing team now and i think if they got Lagarrette Blout late then he would do fine