Chargers Mock Draft By Jeff Williams

The NFL Draft is almost here, and all of the mock drafters are putting their final touches on their predictions for what the Chargers will do in what has become a very important draft for the team. However, there are a couple of things that make predicting Chargers' draft picks difficult.

First, picking at #28 in the first round, it's tough to know who will be selected before the Chargers. Will Dan Williams be gone before #28? Probably. Will Ryan Matthews be gone? I think so. If the players you really want are gone when it is your turn to make your pick, do you settle for the next best player at a position of need, or do you start looking at the best player available regardless of position?

That leads to the second problem, that being AJ Smith's unpredictability. If most "experts" predict that AJ will select a nose tackle or a running back in the first round, I can almost guarantee that he will go in another direction. And that leads me to my own 2010 mock draft.

Rob has done a great with the official BOLTHYPE mock draft picks, giving us a lot of different possibilities. Here is my best guess for the Chargers draft this week:

Round 1 - S Taylor Mays, USC

-I hear he has slid down draft boards for the first round, and he can put fear into anyone running across the middle. And remember, I am guaranteeing that AJ will not pick a NT or RB in the 1st round.

Round 2 - NT Cam Thomas, North Carolina

-Cody may be available here, but I don't know that AJ Smith wants to deal with the potential problems that come with him.

Round 3 - RB Montario Hardesty, Tennessee

-Don't be surprised if the Chargers trade up for Ben Tate if he is available early in the 3rd, whoever this pick is, I expect it to be a running back.

Round 4 - LB Phillip Dillard, Nebraska

-Big and athletic, he would be a contributor on a team that may lose Dobbins and/or Siler within a year.

Round 5 - OT Sam Young, Notre Dame

-A 6'8" monster, but he never seemed to live up to his full potential. Luckily he doesn't have to in 2010.

Round 5 - RB LeGarrette Blount, Oregon

- Should probably go higher, but off the field issues may see him drop into a position of good value for the Chargers.

Round 7 - CB Bryan McCann, SMU

- Yes he is a CB, but more importantly he could be a replacement for a departing Darren Sproles (you heard it hear first!).

YOUR TAKE

What is your take? Will Taylor Mays be available for the Chargers in the first round? Should they go best player available, or do should they draft strictly based on need? Leave your comments below!

April 21, 2010

Anonymous said... Apr 21, 2010, 8:36:00 AM

Rumor has it that Lights Out could be traded during the draft.. AJ really likes Everson Griffin or C. Dunlap in the 1st round.. 2nd round will be J. Dwyer or B. Tate.

FORE 20

Anonymous said... Apr 21, 2010, 8:50:00 AM

HAHAHA!! The rational is amusing. AJ wouldn't want to deal with Cody but would deal with Blount's problems?? Why s it that every mock for Bolts, year in and year out, has at least one SC pick on it? I don't understand why locals jock SC so much. Mike Williams? We wanted him. Bush? Bust. Mays? Can't cover or INT at all, but because he is physical freak we should take him? I don't know.

Anonymous said... Apr 21, 2010, 9:06:00 AM

Well aside from the first pick not bad. I was really high on Mays for awhile and being USC is my Alma Mater I tend to want us to get a Trojan but Mays is not the one. Yes he's big, fast, mean and scary but the dude depends on his physical attributes to do all the work. Head hunter for sure but nothing more. He will get worked in the NFL.

Anonymous said... Apr 21, 2010, 9:36:00 AM

Mock drafts fun I guess, but like you said AJ is in predictable. All I have to say is, Blount wouldn't play for any AJ Smith team...ever. And in my opinion Hardesty would be a awesome gift in the third round. His combine performance had to open eyes. I always have faith in AJ making good pics on RBs.

Jeff Williams said... Apr 21, 2010, 10:07:00 AM

I appreciate the responses so far. I see Mays as a Bob Sanders type of Safety. No one knocks Sanders for a lack of cover skills. As for Cody, I thought I might need a better explanation. Basically, I wouldn't risk it in the second, but will happily make a risky pick in the fifth. The fifth round is practically a crap shoot anyhow.

Manuel said... Apr 21, 2010, 10:36:00 AM

smith would never draft mays.. they get good run support and hard hitting from ellison.. they would only get a safety with good coverage that can play on passing downs.. like im not trying to sound all discouraging and mean but i just cant seem to figure out why a lot of analysts havent figured out that smith doesnt like drafting guys with obvious question marks.. whether in abilities or work ethics.

Anonymous said... Apr 21, 2010, 10:43:00 AM

I kind of do like this mock. Everyone has their issues on way or another but this mock kind of makes sense. I love Mays as a player, except we have Weddle and Ellison in the back already. Does that mean Ellison would get moved down or possibly fight for a CB job? Blount has his own issues but the boy can run downhill. 1-2 punch with Hardesty and Blount would be nice. Kind of what the Jets want to do with LT & Greene. I think the Bolts might use a later rd pick on a QB to fill in for Whitehurst.

As for Lights Out possibly leaving? We better get some picks for THIS YEARS draft.

Anonymous said... Apr 22, 2010, 6:53:00 AM

Trade lights out we could get good value from a guy that saw his best days on the juice

Anonymous said... Apr 22, 2010, 6:59:00 AM

Why the hell would we pick Mays when we have only one rb that's played in the NFL and only one defensive lineman that should be a starter in the NFL. Aj smith may be unpredictable but he's not stupid

Max said... Apr 22, 2010, 11:25:00 AM

My predictions are almost exactly the same! If Mayes slips there is no way we pass on him! Expect the unexpected from AJ! He has never taken anyone that "expert" mocks selected, or even a position that the mocks had us slated to take. I see us taking neither a RB or DT in the 1st. Also, I LOVE Hardesty, the kid runs HARD and has great instincts, would be a GREAT pick in the 2nd or 3rd! You and I think alike Jeff.

Anonymous said... Apr 22, 2010, 12:49:00 PM

Matthews is the pick if hes there, if not its cody a strong NT is the basis for what the bolts do on defense.... and what problems does he have ?? being a huge fat guy that can push the pocket like williams used to be able to do....... RB and NT with the first two picks hands down

Anonymous said... Apr 22, 2010, 12:50:00 PM

BTW were not taking mays!! yes hes fast and strong and cant cover worth shit

Ed said... Apr 22, 2010, 1:04:00 PM

I say again the Chargers will draft two RBs in the top 3 rounds. Sproles will not be in a Charger uniform this coming season. Sure there is alot talent in the RB position. But they are all different to some degree. Like they say you got to make sure that player fits that team & its need. Gerhart,Dwyer, or Tate will give the Chargers that one two punch to wear out any defense. Plus they are large enough to block on passing plays. Tolbert & Hestler can't get it done. The defense picks up their DT in the second Cam Thomas, CB could be picked in the 4th with Rolle. OT can picked down the line, the Chargers always developes their linemen.If they can trade Merriman or Sproles during the draft its a done deal.

Jay said... Apr 22, 2010, 3:20:00 PM

With the 28th pick of the 1st round of the 2010 NFL Draft the Chargers select from Northeast Rhode Island State....haha, Hopefully there wont be too many surprises today.