Jonathan Crompton

The San Diego Chargers have drafted Quarterback Jonathan Crompton with the 168th overall pick in the 2010 draft.

Crompton is a talented player who will become a nice developmental QB for the Chargers.

JONTHAN CROMPTON HIGHLIGHTS

YOUR TAKE

Leave your reaction in the comments section below!

April 24, 2010

Anonymous said... Apr 24, 2010, 10:54:00 AM

Crompton- Will develop to be a fantastic QB, Good for the Charges!!!

Anonymous said... Apr 24, 2010, 11:01:00 AM

great pick from the Chargers, jonathan crompton will be a great addition to their team.

Mark said... Apr 24, 2010, 11:03:00 AM

After watching him choke in two games against UCLA (2008/2009) his doesn't seem to have a lot of heart or leadership abilities, but Phil can teach him a few things about that I hope. He has skills, just needs needs to stay resilient when the chips are down.

I love the Cam Thomas and Stuckey picks- whoooo-hoooo!!
AJ showed some patience and savvy to trade to get Cam, and now trading for Ryan Mathews is a genius move- proving he pans out in the pros. I'm excited!

Jason said... Apr 24, 2010, 11:33:00 AM

Crompton? Really???? CROMPTON SUCKS! I've watched SEC football for 10 years, and I've NEVER seen a more overrated, crappy QB.

This is what I'm thinking, Crompton LOOKS like a good QB, until he actually, you know, throws the ball and has to make decisions, things like that. We hide him like we did with Whitehurst until some team 2 or 3 years down the road is desperate and maybe lost the film of his SEC games, then we fleece them. This is the only reason I can think of that we drafted him.

Rob Zepeda said... Apr 24, 2010, 11:36:00 AM

I'd give Crompton a chance...5 Offensive coordinators in 4 years is never a good thing. And he battled some injuries in 2008. He bounced back with a solid '09 season and hopefully that is more reflective of the type of player he can be.

Jason said... Apr 24, 2010, 11:39:00 AM

Oh, and that's pretty much his entire highlight compilation as a starter at Tennessee.

Jason said... Apr 24, 2010, 11:50:00 AM

Rob, I'm hoping you're right and I'm wrong.

Rob Zepeda said... Apr 24, 2010, 11:55:00 AM

I definitely understand your concern, but the fact of the matter is if we need to rely on Crompton to play, that means Volek and Rivers are down and out, and at that point we're basically screwed anyways! :D

Mark said... Apr 24, 2010, 1:40:00 PM

we'll see if Crap-ton pans out. Sorry for my pessimism, but I hope you're right, Rob. I agree with Jason, we can "hide" him for a couple of years, start him in some preseason games to give him the opportunity to flash some brilliance, then trade him like Whitehurst before he- craps out, no pun intended!!

Mark said... Apr 24, 2010, 1:52:00 PM

Rob- I bet you were hard-pressed to find any decent highlight reels for Crap-ton. But I congratulate you in that you found one buried in the archives on rockytoptalk.com- and it was a whole 50 seconds long of ONE PLAY in 2008 against arguable the worst team in the SEC, Kentucky!!

I just hope Crompton didn't pick-up Phil Fulmers bad habit of gorging on Krispy Kremes.

Rob Zepeda said... Apr 24, 2010, 1:54:00 PM

@Mark, the highlight pickings were slim, i'll give you that. But he's a Charger now so let's embrace him and support him, ya? At least until he proves otherwise... :)

Mark said... Apr 24, 2010, 4:28:00 PM

I hope I am wrong, Rob. But my eyes have been opened up real wide when "The Sporting News" magazine rated Crompton as the 2nd best QB behind Bradford! Furthermore, after the UCLA game, TSN said he made remarkable improvement after the 5th game of last season.

Also of note, TSN rated Donald Butler as the best linebacker in the draft!! I forgot he was the player who really stole the show when the Huskies beat-up my Trojans last season. He was just "under the radar" because he played at Washington.

I gotta give props to AJ, this could be his best draft yet.

Stewart said... Apr 24, 2010, 6:33:00 PM

Maybe we will keep him for a couple of years, never let him take a snap, and trade him to the Seahawks.

Tyler said... Apr 25, 2010, 7:21:00 PM

What about rivers whos starting and who is on the bench

ROB EPPERLY said... Apr 29, 2010, 12:35:00 PM

Crompton was the best player on the Vols in 2009 and would have beaten number 1 alabama if not for a BLOCKED FIELD GOAL..HE IS A SUPER PICK..

donavan said... May 2, 2010, 10:20:00 AM

Ok they must plan on releasing Rivers in the next few years. but really they need some d-line men and linebackers. Thats my opinion but hey im not a coach

Anonymous said... May 2, 2010, 7:24:00 PM

jonathon is a great quarterback he will be great

Anonymous said... Jun 11, 2010, 8:59:00 AM

Crompton played through much adversity through his entire career at TN and faced brutal criticism (including death threats) that would have driven most players to quit. I never thought he would be a good NFL QB either, but after watching his improvement during his senior year I think the Chargers have made a good pick. He has Manning-like work ethic and all of the physical tools.

Anonymous said... Sep 2, 2010, 9:53:00 PM

Crompton is terrible and he has looked just as bad in charger blue as he did in Tenn orange.

Jason said... Sep 4, 2010, 7:51:00 PM

Hate to say I told you so...

Anonymous said... Sep 13, 2010, 9:29:00 PM

look i dont see any of u out there doing anything like he is!!!! its easy to talk crap about someone when u r sitting at home watching the game!!!! let them put u n there and lets see how your leadership skills change when u have a 6 ft 5 in 350 pound lineman is after u then when u have done it u can talk about him but until then keep your opinion to yourself!!!!!!!