Tyson Alualu Says It "Would Be A Blessing" To Play For The Chargers

Tyson Alualu is one of the top ranked defensive linemen in the 2010 NFL Draft, and the Chargers certainly know who he is. Having met with him on several occasions, they will likely have come away with the same impression we did after speaking with Alualu; he's a tremendous football player with outstanding intangibles and is simply a guy you want on your team. Read BOLTHYPE's interview with Tyson Alualu after the jump.

MEETING THE CHARGERS

"I met with the Chargers at the Combine and talked to Coach Rivera and a couple of the other coaches as well. They said they were interested, and that they liked the way I play; my style. There wanted to get some information on me. And at the same time, they did say I would fit in there with their defense."

WHERE DOES ALUALU PROJECT IN THE DRAFT?

"They said I'm projected late first, early second. But for me, all I care about is the opportunity to play at the next level. One the same note, I want to go as high as I can. I'm looking forward to the opportunity to being a part of the NFL."

EXPERIENCE IN THE 3-4 DEFENSE

"In my Junior and Senior year we changed to a 3-4. In my first two years we played 4-3. Mainly I played 5-technique, head-up on the tackle. But in my Junior and Senior years I played all over the defensive line. I played nose, three-technique, and defensive end. I played strong side D-end at Cal, but I flopped both sides. I didn't have a preference. I play both sides and feel comfortable in a right or left hand stance."

HOW TYSON MOVES SO WELL FOR A BIG MAN

"I appreciate that. I think it's a little bit of everything. Yea, I'm considered a big guy, but coaches see potential and athletic ability to be able to play D-End as a bigger dude. Usually you see guys like myself playing D-Tackle, but coaches said I was quick enough to do both.

But it takes a lot of things, a lot of repetition to play two positions; playing defensive end, playing defensive tackle. And at the same time its also watching a lot of film, and studying film of the people that came before me. My freshman year we had great players such as Brandon Mebane, playing here at Cal. Being able to watch guys like him, I could pattern my game after them. I think that's what made the game a bit easier, knowing your opponent and the things that he does. It's a big part of how my game is what it is, watching lots of film and just being coachable."

FLYING TO THE BALL, HUSTLING TO MAKE PLAYS

"A lot of it is just the love for the game, wanting to go out there and give it your all. The Team is what this game is all about, competing with your teammates. But part of it comes from highschool football. I played Defensive End but I was a lot smaller that what I am now. But even so, a lot of teams would game plan and run away from me, run the opposite direction. So a lot of the plays I made was cashing down tackles from the back side.

Coming to Cal showed me this was a whole different game. You had to constantly run to the ball on every play. The coaches placed a big emphasis on the d-line and whole defense in general to swarm to the ball. I owe a lot to my coaches and to the players that I played with. As far as the d-line, we wanted that to be our identity: always getting to the ball. So it's both a love and passion for the game, doing what I had to do to make plays, as well as being coached by the coaches at Cal, and I owe a lot to them."

THE DECISION TO MOVE TO CALIFORNIA

"I'm from the islands. My family is from Hawaii and we moved out here my freshman year. We came to Cal because it was the best opportunity all around for me. It was my best offer, and the program was on the rise. It's also one of the best institutions and I wanted to get my degree year and make sure I have a life after football. I prayed about it and Cal was where God wanted me to be, so I choose Cal and I'm happy I made that decision. It lead me to be in the position I'm in today, and I'm very grateful and thankful."

51 CAREER COLLEGE GAMES, BEING A LEADER, HAVING HIGH CHARACTER

"I think it's definitely important. It's part of who I am and what I bring to the table. Its important for a team to have a leader. I just want to do the right thing, lead by example, and have people follow me and my actions both on the field as well as off the field. I just want to put myself in position to succeed both on and off the field. It's a big part of who I am. I don't get into trouble. I've got my family here, and I thank God for blessing me and helping me become the person I am today by staying away from distractions and focusing on building my college career."

COLLEGE COMPETITION

"I've faced some real good players in college. Shaun Luavao out of Arizona State, Charles Brown from USC. I faced a lot of good O-linemen in practice as well, one of the best was Alex Mack who now plays for the Cleveland Browns."

WHICH NFL TEAMS ARE SHOWING THE MOST INTEREST?

"I've met with a lot of teams, and it hasn't been mainly 3-4 teams or 4-3 teams. It's been a mix of both. A lot of 4-3 teams I've talked to say they see me as a two-down Defensive End, and in passing situations and stunt packages they'll bump me into 3-technique. Most 4-3 teams see me at end, some at defensive tackle. I've talked to a lot of 3-4 teams as well including San Diego, and they see me at defensive end in the 3-4. A lot of teams in both schemes have shown interest in me."

PLAYING IN THE 3-4 VERSUS THE 4-3

"I have no preference, none at all. I enjoy both. I don't have a preference, I just want the opportunity to go out there and show what I can do, what I love to do, and that's to play ball."

ONCE DRAFTED, WHAT WILL ALUALU'S APPROACH BE?

"I'm just looking for an opportunity. But don't get me wrong, whatever team that does pick me up I'm going to compete my butt off and work hard. I'm not going to just go to a team and be grateful and sit behind somebody, and just be happy where I'm at. Never get comfortable because I'm going to fight for that starting job. My attitude towards it is I'm going to take a spot. I want to be a starter in the NFL. What my job will be, we'll just have to see. But I'm going in expecting to compete with whoever it is, whether it's a veteran or not. I want that starting job. I'm going to do my best and show the coaches what I can do, and let them make the decision. But I'm definitely coming in to fight and compete for a spot."

WATCHING FOOTBALL IN HAWAII, FAVORITE TEAMS AND PLAYERS

"I never had a favorite team in the NFL, I just looked up to players. When I played Pop Warner, I played running back and I tried to emulate Emmit Smith but the Cowboys weren't my team. I never had a favorite team. I used to like running backs like Priest Holmes and Emmit Smith. When I starting getting older I started liking D-linemen like Reggie White. I just had a lot of favorite players who I enjoyed watching, but never had one favorite team."

PLAYING FOR THE SAN DIEGO CHARGERS

"Man, the Chargers...growing up, my uncles used to make us watch the Chargers because we all looked up to Junior Seau. He comes from the same decent that I do, and we used to watch him all the time. What he brought to the game was phenomenal, watching him go out there and make plays and make a big name for himself. We used to watch the Chargers all the time. Now, I enjoy watching Luis Castillo. I watch him and try to take moves from him, pattern my game after him. It would mean a lot if San Diego did call my name and to get the chance to play for you guys in San Diego. It would be a blessing for me to have that opportunity."

TYSON ALUALU HIGHLIGHTS

April 4, 2010

Chris said... Apr 5, 2010, 12:26:00 AM

Somehow trade up and get Dan Williams, or Take Mt. Cody with the no. 28 pick, and with either scenario take Alualu with the no. 40 pick.

The Chargers need to get Marshawn Lynch. I know he is a suspension waiting to happen but new team and new surroundings may resurrect his career. He will certainly come at a low cost, and we may come away from the trade better than expected if we can throw Sproles in the mix for him by getting some draft picks. Getting a RB would allow us to beef up our Defense with our first 2 picks.

isaac said... Apr 5, 2010, 2:22:00 AM

not a bad call Cris but with our DL depth I really only see room for a NT remember we drafted Vaugh Martin last year to develop at end.

the only way I see us drafting Tyson is if we take Taylor Mays @#28 and both Thomas and Cody are taken before pk #40. or we somehow aquire another 2nd rd draft pk.

Timous said... Apr 5, 2010, 7:51:00 AM

I do hope the board of the Bolts make some great moves and sign with this player too.

Anonymous said... Apr 5, 2010, 8:06:00 AM

This is the kind of player we need on our defense. He's a natural and seems like a very good person off the field. It would be a big upgrade to our D line even with a carousel at NT. He will draw double teams with his quickness and power and help free up our linebackers. I think we should make him an early 1st (#28) Then look at NT project or RB at #40.

Neoplatonist Bolthead said... Apr 5, 2010, 8:12:00 AM

That would be cool, but it ain't gonna happen. If the Chargers don't draft an NT, then instead of going for an end they'll probably pick either a CB or an SS.

Rob Zepeda said... Apr 5, 2010, 10:22:00 AM

Already a fan of how Tyson plays the game, after speaking with him I became a much bigger fan. Tyson has an amazingly competitive attitude in his approach to the game and it's clear family and football are his priorities. This guy wont bust because he'll work so hard each and every week. He's got a chance to be someone special. At this point, I feel more comfortable draft Tyson Alualu over Terrence Cody because I know Alualu will give me more bang for my buck and he's a much safer bet.

Jay said... Apr 5, 2010, 10:27:00 AM

i agree with chris. i think marshawn lynch would be nice. he has his problems...but so does alot of NFL players. He will be cheap, maybe a 3rd rounder for next year and a late round this year.

what do you guys think?

Jay said... Apr 5, 2010, 10:32:00 AM

oh and btw, i think Tyson would be a GREAT pick up for the bolts. super quick. who knows when Vaughn Martin will be ready.

Chris said... Apr 5, 2010, 11:27:00 AM

Alualu is a Star, and will be a star in the NFL. i know we have Vaughn Martin but truth is he is a project and no one knows if he is a boom or bust. Why not get someone who we know is going to make an immediate impact? There aren't a lot of SS that are rated high this year. Taylor Mays can't cover anyone, and Chargers have already looked at Kam Chancellor from VT who is basically a poor man's Mays.

NT is our biggest need no matter what anyone says about RB. Garay and OG are good but AJ likes atleast 3 deep at each position and we need a Star NT as well. Thats why we should go after Marshawn Lynch to solidify our Defensive needs with our first 2 or 3 picks.

slim said... Apr 5, 2010, 2:17:00 PM

absolute beast of a Dlineman. Power, speed with strong hands for arm tackling/forcing fumbles. What's not to like? Might be a definite option for SD if D williams and Cody are both off the board.

Anonymous said... Apr 5, 2010, 2:46:00 PM

I don't even think it would cost us a 3rd to get Lynch. Rumor had it Bills were willing to deal him for a 4th rounder.

Brian said... Apr 5, 2010, 9:05:00 PM

I think if Ryan Matthews is available they take him at 28 and then the best DL or CB available at 40 between Cody, Alualu, Wilson, McCourty. If Matthews is already taken at 28, they take a DL or CB first and then at 40 target an RB: Best, Dwyer or Tate.

isaac said... Apr 6, 2010, 12:38:00 AM

Bolt Nation I might have found our NT of the future.
Name:Callahan Bright 6'3 343 lbs attends a D2 Shawn University but hes an x FSU Seminole.

Reportedly has great strengh and acceleration. Havent been able to find film on him yet but his mesurables seem great and hes projected to be a 7th so hell probably go in the 4th or 5th. Sounds like and A.J. guy to Me.

This would allow us to take Tyson @ 40 after taking the best player available @ 28 Best/Mays/Matthews or trade back???

Anonymous said... Apr 6, 2010, 12:24:00 PM

With yhe big five tagged with a one and three plus Gates next year its obvious they all can not be re-signed.This would be my suggestion. Trade with Buffalo.Bills get Sproles the Chargers 28th pick and a 3rd next year. the chargers get Marshawn Lynch,Buffalos 9th pick.This would open the follwing possiblities. Spiller or Williams with the 9 pick And Gerheart OR Alualu or McCourty with 40th pick. Any opinions?
Donzietgr

Chris said... Apr 6, 2010, 2:33:00 PM

@Donzietgr

I love that trade scenario. it's just so obvious to me and a lot of other fans that we need to move up in this draft. Upgrading our defense should be the no. 1 priority. Everyone keeps saying "Oh we were 13-3 run defense was better the latter part of the season" No it wasn't people, we got beat by a rushing touchdown in the playoffs. sure Kaeding kicked our asses right out, but it shouldn't have come down to his bum leg.

Jay said... Apr 6, 2010, 2:53:00 PM

@Donzietgr

it would be nice to make a trade like that happen. except if we get lynch i really dont think they would spend the 9th on a rb. they would go after Graham or Williams. With the 40th they would probably look at someone like tyson, mccourty or gerheart

Anonymous said... Apr 6, 2010, 3:11:00 PM

Jay
C J Spiller isn't just another running back. He is rated a superior pass catching back. Also a superior kick & punt returner. Picking Graham 9th Would not be good value.
Donzietgr

Anonymous said... Apr 6, 2010, 10:27:00 PM

wonder what he would play in our defense...de or dt? anyway sounds like a great kid would love to have him!! how bout this mock..

1 cody nt
2 alualu de
3 gerhart/tate rb

@ryanwilliams619

isaac said... Apr 7, 2010, 1:48:00 AM

Because of the quality in this draft I would be attempting to aquire more picks rather than move up the draft board. something like

trades like Sproles= Rams 3rd rd pk(#65)+ 3rd rd pk in 2011

than

Trade Shawn Phillips and 4th rd pk= Packers(desperate for a OLB with pass rushing skills) 2nd rd pk(#56)

mock draft

#28- Terrance Cody(NT)
#40- Ben Tate(RB)
#56(T)- Tyson Alualu(DT)
#65(T)-Vladmir Ducasse(OT)
#91- Deji Karim (RB)

Anonymous said... Apr 7, 2010, 9:41:00 PM

I like the guy, doenst really sound like hes a uber Charger fan. But would be worth it at 28 if he is there.

Jeff said... Apr 8, 2010, 9:52:00 PM

I think we're pretty good, now that i think about it, for our NT. I was messing around on madden and i had bingham, boone, nwagbuo, scott set at the DT position. For DE, I had castillo @ RE n opposite of castillo, I traded applewhite n dobbins for phillip merling n placed him @ LE. With the people we have on rotation @ NT, they all work fine.

Anyways, I think all the Chargers need is to pick up a DE that'll compliment castillo. We also need a Pro Ready MLB because that's one of the holes i noticed that we had on our DEFENSE.

This is my opinion on what the Chargers need for the draft:
1. RB most obvious (catch, block, carry)
2. DE (strong yet quicker/finesse off the snap of the ball)
3. MLB (someone like a Jon Beason type MLB)
4. RT (or anyone that's verstile on the OL)
5. TE (mixture of blocking n catching TE preferably)
6. WR (WR that'll work the slot)
7. back up RB, OL, DL, or CB.

Jay said... Apr 10, 2010, 7:44:00 PM

rotoworld had a little excerpt about marshawn lynch saying they think he will end up on the bolts. I like the move personally as long as it doesnt cost the bolts anything too big. maybe a 3rd next year or something would be nice to ship for hi,. Even though he has had his problems he does have the experience the bolts would need to show the way to the rookie rb they select in the draft. (whatever round it may be)

Chris said... Apr 11, 2010, 10:23:00 AM

@Jay

totally agree. Marshawn has his off field issues, but he would come cheaply and we may even be able to swing a block buster trade to swap 1st round picks with Buffalo. If we did that it would allow us to select Dan Williams and possibly Jahvid Best to compliment Lynch with a Thunder/Lightning

@Jeff

no matter what people say NT is our biggest need. Antonio Garay and OG are basically what we have at NT. Boone, Scott are okay but not a lock to make the team. Binghom is a DE which will help us once he returns. We got burned badly on inside runs, outside was better than it seemed because we had a CB that wouldn't tackle. We need a BIG NT that can stuff the run, even if he is only a 2 down player, our coaches are liking the rotation so that kind of player would fit perfectly aka Mt. Cody or PRAYING for Dan Williams.

Chris said... Apr 11, 2010, 10:25:00 AM

@jay

i meant Jahvid Best in the 2nd round, if we wanted to select a RB in buffalo's selection it would obviously be Spiller

Jay said... Apr 11, 2010, 2:30:00 PM

@chris: marshawn and best are both CAL boys, im sure marshawn would not mind helping out a fellow golden bear. in the pros.

isaac said... Apr 12, 2010, 1:44:00 AM

Great thoughts Chris I actually was thinkind along the same lines of trading a for Lynch. Sproles(remember Buster davis returns punts)+5th(2011)=Marshawn Lynch+3rd pk 2010 (#72 overall)then drafting Dwyer/Blount/ Mcknight @ #72.

or

possibly now this is a maid up trade!!!! but ive been hearing that Deangelo williams from Carolina could be on the trading block and they would love to get a 1st rd pk(so they can take a WR like Damarius Thomas or a QB)

#28= Deangelo Williams+ #48pk(2nd rd) but Im not sure its enough.

Chris said... Apr 13, 2010, 9:01:00 PM

I think at this point trading with Buffalo is going to happen. I think the Chargers are more likely to get Ronnie Brown from the Dolphins, It's a risky move, but could also allow us to move up in the 1st round. If Jason Taylor signs with the Jets, then the Dolphins need a OLB, Merriman could potentially be in the trade as well.

I personally think that would be an amazing deal and great to draft Toby Gerhart or Anthony Dixon. Spend 1st two picks on a CB and NT, to me that would be a home run draft

Chris said... Apr 13, 2010, 9:03:00 PM

i meant "Trade with Buffalo is NOT going to happen"

Spanky said... Apr 17, 2010, 11:50:00 AM

Because we have been a pretty darn good job of drafting over the years we are in a position to take the best player available for our two biggest needs RB & DT/DE. Yes we do have guys like Vaughn and Cesaire, and Bingham among others but they can easily be replaced with the exception of Vaughn. IMO we can look RB at 28 or DT, and then DE at 40.
I think the Chargers like Mathews, Best at the RB spots and Cody and Price at DT.There is a good chance a couple of those kids will be there at 28.

Personally I'd like to see us wait on a RB until the 3rd round, and use our first two picks on the DL. Alualu at 28 ( I know it is a bit of a reach) bthis kid is just a full time non stop ball carrier attacker. He is the player we have been looking for on that line that just goes out a wreaks havoc on teams. All the good defensive teams have a guy like this on their line. Freeney, Nogta, Dumervil(OLB), Davis, etc.
I also think since AJ doesn't mind reaching a bit he would pick a kid like Linval Joseph DT from East Carolina. 6-5 330, he is moving up the boards fast. I think they have concerns with Cody. Joseph is a freak and would be huge at NT for us.
RB can be taken care of in the 3rd with a guy like Ben Tate from Auburn. JMO.
I just want them to load up that defense and get in on a par with the offense and maybe, just maybe we can not just climb the mountain but make it to the top finally.