Chargers Continue To Struggle On The Road

Here we are again: another Monday morning, another dreadful performance on the road by the San Diego Chargers to think about after the Bolts (2-4) fell to the St. Louis Rams (3-3) 20-17 on Sunday afternoon.

I usually fill this space with the various things I liked and didn’t like from the previous day’s game, but this week there’s absolutely nothing to like.

It’s time for Chargers fans to wake up, even if the team they cheer for tends not to on Sundays. This team is two games below .500 and the annual Norv Turn September Slump has now lasted halfway through October.

Those blinded by love for the Chargers will list any number of excuses about this team’s early struggles.

I know that Legedu Naanee didn’t play and I know that Antonio Gates left the game injured, as did Malcolm Floyd, leaving Philip Rivers (22-37, 249 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT) without his normal downfield threats. I know the Chargers are still realistically in the hunt for the AFC West Division crown considering that the Chiefs (lost two straight), Raiders (lost to the 49ers) and Broncos sit at 2-4 also.

And yes, I know that the past few years the Bolts have put together impressive late season runs to win the division – only to ultimately stumble in the playoffs.

Which is exactly my point. Teams that win in the playoffs find ways to win on the road. This Chargers team has not, with all four losses coming away from Qualcomm Stadium.

Teams that win in the playoffs win the turnover battle, which the Chargers lost yet again. Their one giveaway was particularly costly with Rivers being picked off in the end zone in the first quarter.

Teams that win in the playoffs don’t fall behind 17-0 no matter who they’re playing, let alone when they’re playing a team starting a rookie quarterback coming off a blowout loss to the Detroit Lions the week before.

Teams that win in the playoffs don’t go 1-2 against the NFC West, widely regarded as the worst division in the NFL.

What was the NFL’s top offense couldn’t even protect its quarterback in St. Louis on Sunday. Sure, left tackle Marcus McNeill made his return from a lengthy hold out boasting his new multi-million dollar contract, yet Rivers was sacked seven times on the day. Of course, when he had the time to throw his receivers tended to drop it anyway.

Speaking of drops, perhaps the defense should go back to the basics of catching with the Chargers’ wide receivers this week. The defense dropped what should have been two interceptions, including a Stephen Cooper drop that should have gone the other way for six.

The ground game was nonexistent, which has a lot to do with falling behind early. Ryan Mathews carried the ball 12 times for 64 yards. Mike Tolbert averaged a beastly 1 yard per carry (albeit with a touchdown) and lately it seems the only place Darren Sproles has been running is to the bank with his beefy paychecks.

And special teams were predictably dreadful on Sunday. Mike Scifres averaged an impressive 59.5 yards per punt, but two of them went into the endzone as touchbacks and another was returned 42 yards. Nate Kaeding, meanwhile, is reportedly dealing with a tweaked groin and had a field goal blocked. Think those three points could have helped?

It’s not going to get any easier. The remaining three games before the week 10 bye bring the Patriots (4-1) and Titans (3-2 before tonight’s game) to San Diego before going to Houston to play the Texans (4-2).

So what is your take? Will the Chargers win three straight and go into the bye above .500, or will they continue to slip and be obsolete in the playoff hunt? Who’s to blame – the players for not executing, the coaches for not game planning better, or management for not putting more talent on the field? Is this the year where the Chargers’ dominance of the AFC West finally comes to a halt?

Voice your opinion below – feel free to vent a bit. I know you need it.

October 18, 2010

Anonymous said... Oct 18, 2010, 8:40:00 AM

WHAT A DISASTER!!!!!!! INCREDIBLE!! 2-4 RECORD LOSING TO 4 GREAT TEAMS : RAMS,CHIEFS,RAIDERS AND THE VERY BEST OF THE BUNCH SEAHAWKS!!!! I´M NOT EVEN GONNA WAIST MY TIME ASKING THE BIGGEST ASS ON EARTH TO FIRE NORV AND OUR GREAT SPECIAL TEAMS COACH, I´M JUST TRULY DISAPOINTED AND IT LOOKS LIKE IT WILL GET WORSE SUCH A SHAME TO HAVE THIS KIND OF PLAYERS AND NOT TO HAVE A TRUE LEADER COACHING AND MANAGING THE TEAM!

BRAVO AJ!!!! BRAVO NORV!!! FANTASTIC JOB!!! I´M THRILLED ABOUT OUR GREAT SEASON IF U HAVE DIGNITY U SHOULD RESIGN!!

VERY SAD SITUATION!!!

VERY SAD TO BE A CHARGER FAN!!

Anonymous said... Oct 18, 2010, 8:57:00 AM

stop spamming drowningBoy

Anonymous said... Oct 18, 2010, 9:14:00 AM

Another ridiculous loss. 7 sacks against the Chiefs? They got to Rivers with 4 men, one of those times just bowling over McNeill. Norv keeps on saying he's going to establish the run game and this was the perfect chance. We had no pass protection or deep threats, yet he gives Mathews the ball only 12 times? It's time for a change, because we've had too many years of this being a problem. Norv needs to be fired. Clearly the preparation is lacking.

Anonymous said... Oct 18, 2010, 9:21:00 AM

FIRE OLE NORVEY! I would love to bring in chuckie cheese.

arnie said... Oct 18, 2010, 2:18:00 PM

You are what you a are. This is simply a team that is being out played, and out coached.
All the hype is gone, all the speculation is over and the chickens have come home to roost. meaning?

You hired a below .500 coach, to coach a team that didn't start winning until after he left as the OC. And then rewarded him with a three year extension, that should have gone to his predecessor.

You committed 8 years to a GM that has consistently run off your "PRO-BOWL" veteran talent. Not one, not two, but 12, yes 12 pro-bowl veteran players. And all the while believing they are all indispensable?

Why would you expect any different results, than 2-4?

rickcnsdca said... Oct 18, 2010, 2:32:00 PM

I think we need to look at the main souce our beloved GM who can't get contracts in time but did a good job with Mathews but he is a rooke. We need some player personnel changes fast. Sproles is inconsistent at best and you can't just rely on Floyd and Gates. Rivers got sacked to death and is not going to survive the year with protection he is getting. Our GM needs to get off his seat in the office and get into action putting a size 10 up some of the arses of our players as well. Norv is good as an offensive coordinator but not both being defensive. Our speial play teams have allowed consistantly 60 to 100 yards on kick off returns. We helped Howie Long our Raider buddy up north's son look real good in this game as well. Pretty good for a rookie along with a rookie QB in Bradford. Maybe thats our destiny this year make other look better !!!!!

Anonymous said... Oct 18, 2010, 6:13:00 PM

The Bolts had the opportunity to have a winning start to the 2010 season with an easy schedule and continue that winning. If there is one thing you can count on is the Super Chargers letting the fans down. I agree, they need to fire the GM and move/fire Norv, and send that joke Kaeding along with Merriman, and Jackson packing.

Mark said... Oct 18, 2010, 8:44:00 PM

Jeez- I hate to say it but, Buster Davis is definitlely NO Vincent Jackson! I counted at least three dropped passes that I am positive than VJ would have caught. One drop was a third-down pass at the goal-line and the Chargers then had to settle for a field goal- which Kaeding shanked!! I think AJ was sorely mistaken that he could plug-in any reciever to be Phil Rivers next "go-to guy." WRONG!!!!!
Rivers and Jackson were a duo to be reckoned with as they established a chemistry with continunity for over three years. I thought this was the year we would make a deep run but OOOOPS!! AJ could not work out a contract because of his hard-ball tactics. Yeah, Jackson may have been asvised wrongly by a bad agent but this shitty season can be blamed on AJ as he and his puppet Norv will have to go. Spanos, you better do the right thing and get rid of these clowns!!

Mark said... Oct 18, 2010, 8:46:00 PM

Well, it could be worse......at least we aren't choking as bad as the Cowboys!! (LOL!!)

But maybe this is just the beginning of the worst.....for the Chargers!

Mark said... Oct 18, 2010, 8:52:00 PM

This may seem kind of strange but, I smell a conspiracy to tank this season so that it will make it easier to pack-up and leave for L.A. Call me crazy but, I have no ther explanation for this strange season. At one point last week, the Bolts were 1st in offense AND defense in the league!! And now, that same team is 2-4 with two of those losses to the shitty Raiders and Rams??!!

BTW- I think the real reason Seau drove off the cliff was that he could not take his beloved ex-team losing to the STINKIN' RAMS!!

Mark said... Oct 18, 2010, 9:16:00 PM

Last point, I bet we fans will be faced with anothet black-out this week against the Patsies. It may be a good thing- so we won't have to witness a major beat-down.

I hope the Chargers prove me wrong.............

Anonymous said... Oct 19, 2010, 12:05:00 AM

The writing is on the wall. You need to settle with Jackson, AJ. Experiment non-Jackson has proven to be a complete failure. Game management is another issue no one is talking about. Rivers was under obvious pressure all game. Thank goodness he wasn't injured. It seems Spanos is pulling a Pet Rose and betting against his own team. Do we want AJ to draft another maybe? Let's get VJ signed. Let's work the offense with Crayton, Malcom and VJ. How can we be ranked 1st offense and top ten defense and loose all these games? I don't believe in any gimmie games in the NFL but these were all winable. Coach Norv is not managing the games properly nor prudently calling time outs to benefit our team. Example, Raider game, There was a crucial 3rd and long & no time out was called to prevent 1st down. Also, Chargers should have iniciated run, run, run and kick field goal plays for the win. Rams game could have use more of the run attack. Where was Mike Tolbert? My brother-in-law, A Raier fan, told me we were not going to win SB, reason why we hired Norv Turner as head coach. I got a little offended but realize he hit nail on the head. This guy knows his sports and he didn't say it malicously. One thing for sure, more blacked out games to come if we don't start winning.

Lighting 72

BoltFan in NY said... Oct 19, 2010, 10:34:00 AM

I've been a serious Charger fan since "Air Coryell" days... it has not been easy remaining true to my team when the each year the proverbial carrot is dangled in front of our faces with hope to one day reach the Super Bowl, especially in the last 5 yrs or so.

Heartbreak started when Marty brought us all the way only to blow it with bad play calling in the playoffs... then came Norv. Yes... THEN CAME NORV... BTW, I'm so sick of everyone always saying "Norv's a great offensive coordinator but..." ...yeah, I fell into that trap for awhile too, but now I'm thinking, you know what? I'm not so damn sure he's all that great as an offensive coordinator EITHER! We KNOW he is not head coach material, that's a given... but the guy has some of the sh*ttiest play calling at times... it's disgusting!

So here we are with (A) Somewhat of a talented team left (yes, A.J. ran off most of the pro bowlers like a previous poster said); (B) A crappy coach that WILL NOT motivate this team or get us to the SB; (C) A special teams coach that should've been replaced weeks ago (D) A general manager that is extremely stubborn, egotistical, and bone-headed; and (E) A team owner that has the GM in his pocket and doesn't have the balls to do what it takes to get this team to the Super Bowl! So what do we do as fans? What can we do? Come on here Spanos... it's up to YOU... you're breaking my heart and everyone else's too! DO SOMETHING!!!!

I know one thing. I will be very sad to see the Chargers leave San Diego for L.A. or elsewhere... that will crush all my hopes of seeing my team make it to the Super Bowl and win it to become champions. I may seriously consider burning all three of my custom pro-jerseys and Charger stuff and become a Jets fan... something I never thought I'd to in a million years. Hey, if Jackson and Merriman end up playing for the Jets, they'll be the "new Chargers" anyway! Ha!

Signed,