Predicting The Chargers Draft: Be The GM, Part II

Continuing our Be The GM series, we turn to Sports News Southwest for our mock draft scenario. Remember, based on this mock draft scenario, it is your job to supply the Chargers pick at 18 in the first round. Also, it is worth noting that our weekly mock draft scenario does not take trades into account, although it would be interesting to hear your thoughts about trading up to get a particular player, or even trading down based on the available players at #18.

Without further ado, here is this weeks 1-17 mock draft scenario:

12. Minnesota Vikings: Cameron Jordan DE
13. Detroit Lions: Brandon Harris: CB
14. St Louis Rams: Julio Jones WR
15. Miami Dolphins: Mark Ingram RB
16. Jacksonville Jaguars: Adrian Clayborn DE
17. New England Patriots: Anthony Castonzo OT
18. San Diego Chargers: ???

I chose to base this week’s draft scenario on the mock draft put together by Sports News Southwest primarily because of the number of great options (in my opinion) that it provides for the Chargers. In this scenario, only four defensive ends were picked ahead of the Chargers, leaving DE’s like Ryan Kerrigan, Akeem Ayers, Robert Quinn, Cameron Heyward, and Muhammad Wilkerson available, as well as linebacker Aldon Smith, and offensive tackles Tyson Smith and Gabe Carimi.

This scenario poses a number of intriguing possibilities for the Bolts. If the Chargers decide to fill one of their most obvious needs, defensive end, they have some great choices. If, instead, depth at outside linebacker is the primary concern, then Aldon Smith or even Ayers would be strong picks. And there is still good depth at offensive tackle if AJ decides to move in that direction instead.

An even better scenario in this situation could be a move back in the first round. Because of the number of strong players available at specific “need” positions for the Chargers, they could theoretically move back in the first round and still get a player who can be an immediate upgradeon offense or defense, while adding additional picks in the 2nd or 3rd rounds. For instance, with three cornerbacks already selected in this scenario, a team who needs to solidify their secondary, like the Eagles, Ravens, or Steelers, could try to leap-frog another contender for available cornerbacks like Jimmy Smith or Brandon Harris. The same could be said for teams in need of offensive line help, like the Colts or Bears. And you can't forget about the 6-8 teams who need serious help at quarterback.

It is fun to speculate about trades, but ultimately the Bolts need a solid pick at #18. In this scenario, I would have to select DE Ryan Kerrigan. I would tempted to take Quinn here, but Kerrigan better fits the 3-4 scheme as a solid run defender with the ability to get into the backfield.

Now it’s your turn to be the GM. Using this week’s draft scenario, who would you select at #18 for the San Diego Chargers, and why? After giving us your pick, feel free to include a potential trade of the 18th pick for other readers to grade.

March 21, 2011

Jason Ciano said... Mar 21, 2011, 8:55:00 AM

I go Carimi, he will be a day 1 stud at Right tackle.

jjamesnaz said... Mar 21, 2011, 12:21:00 PM

In this scenario, I would want us to move back to get some more picks. With all the talent still left, I think we could move back and still get Heyward or Wilkerson because they are the only ones I can see playing DE in the 3-4

Hixster said... Mar 21, 2011, 5:24:00 PM

If you could move back 3-4 slots and pick up another late 2nd in the bargain it would be a great move. If you were needing to stick here because you couldn't get a desperate taker then I"d go DE now who can get good consistent pressure / require attention - which I believe would make a Larry English more effective because it spreads the blocking resources thinner. They know them better than me - I just read mock draft stuff like the rest of we bozos. Kerrigan? Quinn? Heyward?

Jjamesnaz said... Mar 21, 2011, 8:44:00 PM

It would be hard to pass on Quinn though because hes a beast and top ten talent. He has character and health issues though (NCAA suspension and brain tumor). I think his talent level could easily entice someone to trade up to get him, possibly for a hefty price

Yufrontin said... Mar 21, 2011, 11:46:00 PM

I'm calling BS on Blaine Gabbert at #1

Yufrontin said... Mar 22, 2011, 12:01:00 AM

I agree with some of the previous comments that we could trade down for some extra picks (shotgun approach to counter all the "whiffs" AJ will make looking for sleepers). If we're stuck at this pick, I'd go with Robert Quinn and take the next best DE in the 2nd round (or trade up a little in the late 1st / early 2nd).

isaac said... Mar 22, 2011, 3:19:00 AM

In this scenario it would be RIDICULOUS TO PASS QUINN UP!!!!!! he fills a position of need.

I would then trade our #50 and #82 to NE for #28 and draft Cameron Heyward
then draft

#61-Joseph Barksdale -OT-LSU
#89- Terrence McCrae-WR- OHIO
#178-Chad Spann-RB-NIU

OLB(Quinn),DE(Heyward),RT(Barksdale), WR(McCrae), RB(Spann) pretty good rake for a draft

Jeff Williams said... Mar 22, 2011, 7:54:00 AM

The Quinn pick really comes down to whether you, as GM, think we need OLB help more than DE help. A second first round pick will cost you more than a 2 and 3, in my opinion. So the question becomes, is Quinn worth the risk of losing out on one of the top DE's because you couldn't trade down low enough in the 2nd to grab one?

MinneBolta said... Mar 22, 2011, 1:03:00 PM

Well, in my mind the drafting of someone like Quinn, or even Aldon Smith, isnt so much a matter of OLB being viewed as a greater need than DE, but rather that their talent is so much greater than the DE's at this point in the draft. It also helps to view the draft board as a whole, and try to find the best combination of players to fill your desired needs. There is a plethera of DE's that fit the late 1st, to late 2nd grade (where OLB's lack) you might be wise to take the OLB 1st, and find one of those DE's later on.

Take the Vikings for example. When they took Adrian Peterson, RB was certainly not their top priority. They had just signed Chester Taylor to a large FA deal, and he had finished his first year with them as a 1,000yd back. They took AP because the talent that he possesed couldn't be passed up.

If you find yourself that enamoured with someone like Quinn, and can justify pushing DE or another need to a later pick (especially if you feel like there will be quality players available) you have to take him. Regardless of position.

MinneBolta said... Mar 22, 2011, 1:12:00 PM

Kerrigan needs to get closer to 300lbs to be considered a 3-4 DE. He fits more of the mold of someone like Aaron Kampman. A hugely disruptive 4-3 DE, but someone who struggled to find a spot when GB changed to 3-4. They tried standing him up, but he wasnt quick enough, but when they put him back down to his natural stance, he got swallowed by the double team. The second he went back to 4-3 in Jax, he flourished once more.

Jeff Williams said... Mar 23, 2011, 8:47:00 AM

I hear what you're saying Minnebolta. Kerrigan may be in the undersized category for a 3-4 for a lot of people. But add a few pounds, and he could hold his own. If you think back to 1998, Jamal Williams was undersized for a Nose Tackle, but he "grew" into the position. Kerrigan is tough enough to be a DE, and has almost no experience in coverage. I don't see the guy becoming the next big thing at OLB.

So you never said who you would pick...

MinneBolta said... Mar 23, 2011, 7:06:00 PM

No you're right, if you think he can grow into that size then he becomes a lot more attractive. My question is, how long might that take? We're always talking about how close the Chargers are, I think we need to make sure we get someone who can impact our team immediately. Im not saying he cant, im just throwing out the question. Also, I dont see him as an OLB either (hopefully thats not what i implied), I see him as a 4-3 DE.

I have much more of an Order, rather than a defined pick, but in this scenario I'd take either Quinn or Aldon Smith. I love Aldon, and he seems like just the type of player AJ finds interesting, but Quinn's talent might be too much. Personally, I view DE as the biggest need, but have Watt, and Jordan as the two to look for. If they're gone, I move right to Quinn/Smith, if somehow all 4 are gone, we move back and find Wilkerson/Heyward later.

I dont view RT as as big of a hole as some people do, but I could be wrong. I think we'll address it later in the draft but between Clary, and Dombrowski possibly moving over I think AJ will be OK with that. Again though, I still think we address it later, perhaps somewhere around 3/4.

boltfan said... Mar 24, 2011, 2:07:00 PM

No one is talking ILB. I like Martex Wilson, fills a huge need and probably won't be there for the chargers in the 2nd round

MinneBolta said... Mar 24, 2011, 3:08:00 PM

That's because he's not a 1st round talent. If ILB is going to be addressed, it will be in the 2nd/3rd. Theres 3-4 quality ILB's around that time.

cczer08 said... Mar 25, 2011, 3:43:00 PM

This is exactly correct. The Chargers should not draft Kerrigan. If they do, it will be exactly the same story you described. He will fail to make an impact here, be labeled a disappointment, get traded to a 4-3 team for a 5th round pick, fluorish for said 4-3 team, and all the SD fans will come out of the woodwork for the millionth time going on and on about how AJ gives away all our good players.

cczer08 said... Mar 25, 2011, 3:48:00 PM

Martez Wilson had a really poor pro day and is now being widely viewed as a guy who was overhyped due to a good combine. More than one scout/coach that attended his pro day said he didn't show much playmaking ability in college. I think people are overestimating the team's needs at ILB. Cooper is probably gone, but i believe Burnett and Siler will both be re-signed and Butler is coming back off I/R. I also think there is a great chance that they plan to bring in a guy like Takeo Spikes once the CBA gets setted. Between those guys, you would have great depth at ILB with (hopefully) up and coming talent in Butler. That leaves this draft to fill more immediate needs at DE, OLB, RT, S, WR & CB.

cczer08 said... Mar 25, 2011, 3:56:00 PM

Agreed. Trade back for additional picks and take Wilkerson - not Heyward who had a reputation for disappearing often at Ohio State.

cczer08 said... Mar 25, 2011, 4:04:00 PM

I like the way you think, although we will have to disagree on Clary. I personally think he is a liability and I can't figure out why the team has not made an effort to upgrade that spot for so long. In any event, I totally agree that the focus needs to be on a player who can help right away as this team is not far off from Super Bowl contention. Using the 1st round pick on a guy like Kerrigan who needs a lot of development does not make sense. A better approach would be to get a guy in the 1st who already has the size to be a 3-4 DE and use one of the second round picks on a "conversion" pick that would move a smaller college DE to OLB. There should be several available - Sam Acho, Jabaal Shear, maybe Brooks Reed, to name a few?