Predicting The Chargers Draft: Be The GM, Part V

In our continuing Be The GM series we take a look at a different spin on the first round of the NFL draft. This new look at the first round has a decisively defensive slant to it. Mock projections for some teams in today's scenario might be a bit of a stretch, but I believe that a heavily defense-oriented first round is going to be more likely than not.

Imagine a first round that looks like this:

01. Carolina Panthers: Patrick Peterson CB

12. Minnesota Vikings: JJ Watt DE

13. Detroit Lions: Aldon Smith DE/OLB

14. St Louis Rams: Cameron Jordan DE

15. Miami Dolphins: Mark Ingram RB

16. Jacksonville Jaguars: Muhammad Wilkerson DE

17. New England Patriots: Ryan Kerrigan DE

18. San Diego Chargers: ???

I don't think it's a stretch to think that QB's will not be the focus of this year's draft. Gabbert and Newton, at this stage, are no Sam Bradford or Matthew Stafford. The unknowns surrounding the lockout make it even more difficult to pick a guy who needs a lot of work to have even a remote chance of starting on day-one. Instead of offense-oriented players, I see teams focusing on defense, much to the detriment of the Chargers selecting at 18 in the first round.

Gone are Watt, Smith, Jordan, Kerrigan, and fan-favorite Wilkerson, using this first round draft scenario. Defensive players who remain on the board for the Chargers include DT Corey Liuget, DE Adrian Clayborn, OLB Akeem Ayers, and CB Jimmy Smith, among others. On the other hand the Chargers have a number of great directions in which to go in on offense, including any of the top offensive tackles or guards, as well as WR Julio Jones.

My personal preference for the Chargers in the first round is on the defensive side of the ball, but none of the available picks excite me. You could definitely make an arguement for trading down into the 20's, but then you would run the risk of losing one of the two or three premier offensive tackles, or risk draining the pool of available defensive players even more.

Using this first round scenario, I would have to select OT Tyron Smith, or my personal favorite OT Gabe Carimi. Tyron Smith has huge upside as a right tackle, while Carimi could start on either side of the line and dominate from day one.

With the run on defensive players in this draft day scenario, who would you select for the Chargers at #18? Be The GM, and sound off below!

April 11, 2011

Ajciano said... Apr 11, 2011, 9:15:00 AM

If we do not move up... Jordan Cameron California, or JJ Watt Wisc, are automatic, if they are gone, I can see AJ doing anything from Carimi to Jimmy Smith....If I were GM for the Bolts, I would know what I am doing at ILB, and RT, although I am not reaching here for Martez u of ILL, I like him in the 30s range. so I might listen to trade down offers, or back into 28 or 33 with NE!

as for what I would do, I would lock up Weddle long term, sign Burnett, and Takeo Spikes if Manusky wants him, I would let Sproles go unless he takes a pay cut, same with Clary Id keep on the cheap.
On Thur april 28th I would look to move up to 10-12-14-15 if Watt or Jordan there, I personally want Watt, I might be able to get one of them for my 18 and 1st pick in the 3rd round... I then wait and see who drops... If at 28 Carimi Solder or DE or OLB the opposite of my earlier pick, I will move up with NE and get that man... I believe this will give me a good chance at having 2 impact starters inside my top 5 picks... for 28 I would give up 50 and 61, if they want more I would do 61 and 2012 1st, as it will be 28-32! and then my draft looks like 18-28 50-80 and some 120 201 and 233....

donzietgr said... Apr 11, 2011, 9:16:00 AM

The Chargers may have to move up to get one of 5 defensive playmakers (that the defense badly needs. ( Bowers if deemed healthy - Jordan - A.Smith - JJ Watts -_Kerrigan)
Trade 1st 18th and 2nd 50th for Minnesota's 12th. The Vikings are showing a keen interest in Jake Locker. The Vikings can take Locker or a OT and get a valuable 2nd rd pick. Set this trade up on a conditional basis,if after 11th pick four out of five are still on board you pass. Line up the same scenario with Miami. 18th and 61st for 15th and 111 pk. Miami does not have a 2nd rd pick. The Chargers would have the 15th - 50th - 82nd - 89th and pick up a needed fourth round choice at 111th under this scenario.

Yufrontin said... Apr 11, 2011, 12:03:00 PM

I would be very tempted to take Julio Jones here

Yufrontin said... Apr 11, 2011, 12:05:00 PM

1 DE - J.J. Watt or Cameron Jordan or Wilkerson
2 OLB - Sam Acho
2 (a) WR - Leonard Hankerson
(b) OT - Orlando Franklin
3 ILB - Greg Jones or Colin McCarthy
3 (a) OT - James Brewer
(b) WR - Terrence Toliver

Jeff Williams said... Apr 11, 2011, 12:50:00 PM

Lot's of great opinions so far. I'm not crazy about moving up in the first round, but I'm definitely open to moving back. As far as trying pick up a 2nd first round pick, I don't think that will be as easy as some make it out to be. Belijerk is going to give the pick away, and I think it will take more than our two 2nd round picks to make it happen. Maybe you can add some trade bait if you move back in the first...

I think the Chargers will be thrilled if even one of the three Yufrontin mentioned is available. In this scenario they aren't. Julio Jones at #18? Great value, but not the immediate impact that the Chargers need in 2011.

donzietgr said... Apr 11, 2011, 1:41:00 PM

Julio Jones will be long gone by 18th pick. Either Washington at 10 or St.Louis 14th.

Aaronswg said... Apr 11, 2011, 5:08:00 PM

I think if you look around there's a major consensus that Da’Quan Bowers is falling fast. His knee is of major concern. I read one article that would put him as a mid 1st rounder. If teams are gun shy about him, I seriously doubt he's going to go third overall. This could mean that a team planning on picking Watt or Jordan might have an opportunity to snag Bowers and therefore give us a better chance at Watt or Jordan. I also am seeing Wilkerson starting to climb the boards a bit. I beleive Cam will be gone by pick 12. Also Jeff, you've got Prince going twice which would be interesting but not possible with todays medical technology ( see pick#9 and #11)

I believe A.J. will move up from 18. I also feel that OLB hybrid is what he'll draft first. I think there's too much uncertainty in his mind with English, that he's got to find another stud linebacker. He can probably find a street free agent to go opposite Castillo but it's going to take too much to move up high enough to get Watt or Jordan. He could also get a de in the second round, like a Drake Nevis. The best shot to trade up for a de would be Wilkerson. I'm not that sold on him, being that he's from a smaller program and being a stud in a smaller school doesn't always equate to stud in the pro's. My prediction, not that I'm thrilled with it, is Akeem Ayers.

Johnwtaco said... Apr 11, 2011, 8:06:00 PM

Bolts are close to #5...whatever sit takes to get Von Miller..then go DE with one of the (2) 3rd round picks ...

Yufrontin said... Apr 11, 2011, 8:25:00 PM

I'm pretty sure, based on all the mocks/news so far, that we'll have (only?) one of the top-tier DL/OLB when we pick. If not, that would suck and I'd rather trade down but you don't say no to Julio Jones (or Tyron Smith) at #18 which finally gives Rivers a bada** at WR and frees up VJax for a trade which needs to be done anyway

Yufrontin said... Apr 11, 2011, 8:31:00 PM

DE just isn't "that" important in the 3-4; NT? yes OLB? yes DE? ehh ...
It's important for the Chargers because we're so thin there but we have FIVE picks in the first 3 rounds. The best value available is all that matters in the first round where you're looking for a difference-maker; if you don't see one, you gotta trade down for more 2nd/3rd round rather than waste first-round money (and give up more picks) on another Larry English or Buster Davis.

isaacoats said... Apr 12, 2011, 1:57:00 AM

In this scenario i would happily take

1st RD
#18-Tyron Smith-RT-USC
2nd Rd
#50- Jerrel Jerrnigan- WR- TROY
#61-Allen Bailey-DE- MIA
3rd RD
#82- Dontay Moch-OLB-Nevada
#89-kelvin Sheppard-ILB- LSU

Trade into 4th Rd (2012 pk)
Deaunta Williams- FS-UNC
5th RD
#201Chad Spann-RB-NIU

the theme of this draft is SPEED!
reasons I like this particular draft!

1.) love the fact we FINNALLY sured up the O-Line at the RT position.
2.) WR Jernigan can return punts and kickoffs and play the slot he has blazin speed!
3.) I believe DE-Bailey and OLB-Moch are very underrated and both bring much needed explosiveness to our defense.
4.) ILB- Sheppard and FS- Williams bring depth and could potentially start in the future.
5.) Chad Spann remember this name BIG time sleeper!!! 3rd RB takes Sproles position.

Jeff Williams said... Apr 12, 2011, 7:31:00 AM

Thanks for the heads-up. In my effort to emphasize defensive players I got a little carried away!

Jeff Williams said... Apr 12, 2011, 7:32:00 AM

In my opinion, any draft that takes offense with the first two picks is not a draft I want any part of. Shore up the defense, and this team is a Super Bowl contender.

Isaac said... Apr 13, 2011, 12:31:00 AM

Honestly Jeff I usually would agree with you BUT this year I say

WE DONT HAVE TO HAVE DEFENSE in the 1st RD!!! we dont wanna end up over drafting a player simply bcause of need.

With our 5 pks we have great flexibility and luckily the positions we need are very deep this year DE,OLB, OT, WR so I say draft the best player available.

Jeff Williams said... Apr 13, 2011, 7:20:00 AM

True, and in this scenario it doesn't make sense to reach for defense in the first round. I would take the best OT available at this point, but definitely listen to offers to trade back.

Sn_wrd2 said... Apr 20, 2011, 4:40:00 PM