Brandon Taylor

With the 73rd pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the San Diego Chargers have selected Brandon Taylor, S LSU.

SCOUTING REPORT:

From NFL.com:

Taylor is a hardworking safety who was a physical presence for a highly touted LSU defense the past three years. There are some small hitches in his play that limit his draft value, but starting at LSU for three years is a testament to his NFL potential. He is a physical safety who likely will be selected late based off his experience at a high level.

Analysis

Strengths
Taylor is a physical safety who enjoys getting in the mix to support the run. He is an effective box player who puts himself in good positions when being the eighth man. He is highly productive and effective as a tackler, and he likes to throw his body around at receivers and let his presence be known. He can be dragged by some bigger players at times, but he rarely falls of a tackle.

Weaknesses
Taylor struggles when covering in man, and in three years rarely has been put in a position where he has to do so. With the type of corners and athletic linebackers LSU has trotted onto the field during his tenure, Taylor has been able to play in the box to support the run and has little work in covering receivers.

HIGHLIGHTS:

YOUR TAKE:

How would you grade this pick? Does Brandon Taylor meet the Chargers needs and provide good value? Sound off in the comments below!

April 27, 2012

Anthony M. Blake said... Apr 27, 2012, 7:06:00 PM

Expected to be a 2nd rounder. Will provide a great complement to Eric Weddle. Another nice addition on paper for AJ.

Myke said... Apr 27, 2012, 7:16:00 PM

Bretow is 2 for 3 on his mock draft 2 months ago!!! ...Geez

Triplook said... Apr 27, 2012, 7:19:00 PM

spanos must threaten to fire aj every year

Antonio Spellman said... Apr 27, 2012, 7:20:00 PM

love this pick

Fbhansen said... Apr 27, 2012, 8:39:00 PM

Another great pic for the D completing the D-D-D chants some of us have had! Brandon Taylor along with Ingram and Reyes make this a very good draft for the D. Depth is still needed and OL help but this has been a very good draft for the Chargers and AJ.

Pete Spinning said... Apr 27, 2012, 9:56:00 PM

I knew we'd get Taylor... Go LSU!

What can you say about Oakland's pick? Raider Nation asks... who did we pick? Utah? Blackshirts all over the state are wondering... why? I'm sure he's a good player, but definitely against the grain.

So, I guess the next question is!!!!!! Can Pagano make this work?

Still need OL depth / /backup RB / CB depth / TE depth.
Thank God for Gates for being that B-Ball "every-down" hall of famer! He allowed the Bolts to pick a pass rusher, instead of a TE, by playing through pain. He;s our MVP... even more than Tomlinson... who I LOVE!!!!I I hope Gates plays as long as Tony Gonzalez, but we don't trade him, and he retires a Bolt.

Let's see Gates break the records this year! Healthy! He's our #1... the rest of the guys should draw off of that!

Pete Spinning said... Apr 27, 2012, 9:59:00 PM

Bolt Up

Pete Spinning said... Apr 27, 2012, 10:19:00 PM

Great comments Triplook! He should threaten it every minute.

Pete Spinning said... Apr 27, 2012, 10:26:00 PM

I hope this inspires Norv to be a better coach, because AJ didn't act like a complete idiot in this draft. We only gave up a 6th round pick for 3 good defensive players.

AJ protected his job this year, but GM is an all year job. The draft is the fun part. Now let's see him get on the field and inspire this team! I'd say his job depended on it, but SD is depending on it. We want a new stadium.

Antonio Spellman said... Apr 28, 2012, 12:07:00 AM

I think I would go after RB2 and CB in the next two and then save the rest for FA unless Massie falls to us in the 4th. But I really want Rainey. I say we inquire about Mike Jenkins price since the Cowboys are trying to ship him. But I think the faith in Ghilcrest and Wright might be a little optimistic plus this is a deep corner draft.

Triplook said... Apr 28, 2012, 1:00:00 AM

massie would be great--id like to see brinkley get a sold shot he played great against KC--we need to keep this badass hardhitting draft going

RaiderHater said... Apr 28, 2012, 7:45:00 AM

Yeah...Fbhansen and Pete are using my D-D-D phrase!!!  Thanks for your support!  And we indeed now have drafted the D-D-D...I am loving the picks, AJ needs a foot up his ass annually!  I would still like to nail a RB and OT to round out this shopping spree.  I think a DB is still in need (remember Cason getting schooled toooo many times)?!  But all in all I am getting excited again for May camps!  The onus is all on OMG Norv....he better react the same as AJ did and produce.  AJ got some talent and potential talent for him, he has more Offensive weapons than I think we have had in many years - scary!  The Defense has been vastly improved and a new coach there should help (if he uses the players right). Let the practice begin!!!!!!!!!!!!
RaiderHater

threecubed said... Apr 28, 2012, 11:51:00 AM

Ironic his own coach stated on air that the NFL needs safeties with size enough to go up and compete for the ball with the TEs in the league . Special teamer seems his ceiling .

Fbhansen said... Apr 28, 2012, 9:02:00 PM

Couldn't agree more but to be honest AJ's biggest misses lately have been in the draft so this is an awesome draft! AJ has been good at getting people off the scrap heap and I think we're going to see more of that as the other teams start dumping bodies. I have to say AJ for being a pompus ass is still good at finding value in other teams rejects.

Fbhansen said... Apr 28, 2012, 9:06:00 PM

Okay still not buying season tickets but I've moved closer to getting some game day walk up tickets! LOL "Onus on Norv" and so the air is let out of the ballon. ;P The reality is we have a bunch of new faces (yet again) and it's going to take time for them to learn how to play together (translation up and down year) so the real excitement is in the fact they should be good in a year or two...we'll see if Norv can work wonders and get this team back into the playoffs! Go Bolts!