Chargers 2012 Draft: Be The GM, Part IV

Finally… we are just days away from the start of the NFL draft. Weeks- no months- of anticipation, speculation, and prognostication will all boil down to the first 32 picks this Thursday night starting at 5pm.

In this, our final edition of Be The GM for 2012, we look to a mock draft from NFL insider Don Banks of Sports Illustrated. Banks is well connected in league circles, and his mock draft, in my opinion, is about as best a prediction as I’ve seen. This week we will use Bank’s first-round scenario to help us determine who will be available for the Chargers at number-18 in the first round. After you read through the first 17 picks, be sure to Be The GM and make your pick for the Chargers in the comments section below.

1. Colts: Andrew Luck/QB

2. Redskins: Robert Griffin/QB (trade)

3. Vikings: Matt Khalil/OT

4. Browns: Trent Richardson/RB

5. Buccaneers: Morris Claiborne/CB

6. Rams: Justin Blackmon/WR (trade)

7. Jaguars: Fletcher Cox/DT

8. Dolphins: Ryan Tannehill/QB

9. Panthers: Stephon Gilmore/CB

10. Bills: Michael Floyd/WR

11. Chiefs: Luke Kuechly/ILB

12. Seahawks: Melvin Ingram/DE/OLB

13. Cardinals: Riley Reiff/OT

14. Cowboys: Mark Barron/S

15. Eagles: Quinton Coples/DE

16. Jets: Courtney Upshaw/DE/OLB

17. Bengals: David DeCastro/OG

18. Chargers: ???

There are not a lot of surprises in Bank’s draft, and there are lot of players commonly linked to the Chargers already taken before the Chargers get their turn on the clock. Gone are safety Barron and OLB Upshaw, two players linked to the Chargers in many mock draft scenarios. Also gone are potential offensive upgrades in WR Floyd and OG DeCastro.

The players available for the Chargers at number-18 still leave the team with a number of fine options. The top players available for the Chargers in this scenario include:

Offensive Linemen

Defensive Tackles
Michael Brockers
Dontari Poe

Defensive Backs
Dre Kirkpatrick
Harrison Smith

An argument can be made that the Chargers greatest need is to improve the offensive line; it's an argument I had been making for years. If that’s your thinking this year, then Cordy Glenn would be a great option to pencil in at guard or tackle for the next decade.

My choice, as it has been since the end of the regular season, is to improve the defense however we can. Based on the Chargers free agent pick-ups this offseason, I don’t see how they could do anything but aim for the highest rated defensive play-maker on their board in the first round.

With Barron gone, I'm going all in on an outside linebacker if I'm the GM. Mercilus and Perry seem to be players who got a lot of hype early in the offseason. More recently, players like Jones, Branch, and McClellin have been making their own push into the first-round discussion. When you stack those five players up next each other, it's hard to prove that one is head and shoulders above the rest. Give me any one of them and I'm probably going to be happy. They're all better picks then the reaches we have gotten from AJ in recent years.

That being said, if I'm making the pick I will debate Mercilus or Branch down to the last minute before I finally select Mercilus.

That's my pick- what's yours? Using the mock draft scenario listed above, Be The GM and make your selection in the comments section below.

Follow me on Twitter: @JSWilliams75

April 23, 2012

Ilanbielas said... Apr 23, 2012, 8:37:00 AM

trade up to 13 for barron and then nick perry or curry should be available in the second for the taking

BOLTHYPE said... Apr 23, 2012, 9:01:00 AM

Nick Perry is my favorite OLB prospect in this draft class, and it wouldn't surprise me to see him gone by pick 18, but if he's there I think the Chargers would do well to take him. Tremendous upside with instant impact on special teams and situational passing downs. - Rob Z.

Dallis said... Apr 23, 2012, 2:42:00 PM

If we trade up we're probably losing our 2nd rd pick, no?

Jeff Williams said... Apr 23, 2012, 6:16:00 PM

Most likely- who would trade back for less?

Triplook said... Apr 23, 2012, 10:23:00 PM

chandler jones or trade back -we should only trade up if we can fleece seattle again

Rayebo said... Apr 24, 2012, 7:47:00 AM

We can trade up to get the corner from LSU or the wide receiver from Norte Dame.
By giving up a second round next year or a second this year & first next year.

So we would have two first rounders or one. Its TIME to add some cornerstones, besides Rivers and JAMMER.

Sditaliaman said... Apr 24, 2012, 10:29:00 AM

the chargers top priority is Safety, this mock draft is very realistic to me as we should all know that Barron will not be available at 18. trading for him will take a lot, depending how far he falls could take less but wouldnt count on it. in this case i believe trading back maybe our best option, our 1st pats two 1st and maybe another later pick from us could make sense as a trade. prediction: Harrison Smith, Whitney Mercilus or whatever best pass rusher available

Triplook said... Apr 24, 2012, 11:51:00 AM

pass rusher---when we had a pass rush we were picking qb's off left and right--our pass rush made cromartie look like superman

Triplook said... Apr 24, 2012, 12:13:00 PM

if we can grab more than 1 pash rusher thatd be perfect-when the qb is under constant pressure he makes bad throws that get picked off which gives our offense a chance to pile up points--we need the same type of pass rush we had in 06-07 and we will be right back in the drivers seat

Pete Spinning said... Apr 24, 2012, 12:49:00 PM

I say we just draft a kicker in the 1st round, to shake things up... make him compete with Kaeding & Novak for the starting position = )

But, seriously... pass rusher, then safety seems like the best plan.. although they wouldn't hurt my feelings if they drafted a top corner, I suppose. Still think pass rusher is the best choice.

David Starr said... Apr 25, 2012, 12:11:00 PM

Out of the players that are left, I would go with Dontari Poe.  Nose Tackle. The nose tackle position is one of the most important for the 3-4 defense.  There was hesitation by the Chargers to resign Antonio Garay. Poe can learn behind Garay and also sub in on all the three defensive front positions.  A 3-4 nose tackle prospect like this only comes along once every 5 years.  If you can trade down to get Harrison Smith at the top of the Second round, I would do that.

Peter Thompson said... Apr 26, 2012, 1:54:00 AM

Ha! I call BS.. and / or shenanigans!

Ceck out Mike Mayock's "down to the line picks" of 2011. He has Gabbert at 7. Got it.

I hope the Bolts aren't that stupit this year.

DeCastro... NOT! Any other Offensive player... NOT! How about we trade up to get Barron or Ingram... Don't be fooled by the hype. These are the best players in the draft... not Riley, or Brockers, or any other sucka... nor Harrison Smith or Chandler Jones.. Don't be fooled by East Coast BS!!!! They are reporting what they want the East Coast to get, as always...

I would do EVERYTHING to make a deal in the right direction, if I were AJ.