Melvin Ingram

With the 18th pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the San Diego Chargers have selected Melvin Ingram, OLB South Carolina.

SCOUTING REPORT:

From NFL.com:

Ingram is one of the most athletically gifted prospects in this year's class. He came to South Carolina as an inside linebacker and has since played in various positions across the front seven. Ingram's motor, athleticism and technique allow him to bring dynamic playmaking ability to an NFL defense, whether he lines up at defensive tackle or defensive end. Some believe he could be moved to outside linebacker in a 3-4 scheme to rush the passer and overpower offensive tackles. There is a chance he continues rising up boards and is selected in the first round of the draft.

Analysis

Strengths
Ingram has an uncommon blend of speed and overall athleticism for a big man. Parlayed with a strong motor and instincts that have allowed him to line up in numerous positions across the field, Ingram almost always finds himself near the ball. He is quick off the snap and technically refined working the line of scrimmage, the type of lineman who can continuously defeat blocks to play the run or pass and make plays.

Weaknesses
The weaknesses in Ingram's play as a defensive tackle are all about physical limitations, such as height, weight and arm length. His short arms and size make it tough for him to eliminate double teams playing inside, and there are uncertainties about his effectiveness there at the next level. He'll also have to prove he has the first step to play defensive end and the movement skills to be moved to linebacker.

HIGHLIGHTS

YOUR TAKE

How would you grade this pick? Does Melvin Ingram meet the Chargers needs and provide good value? Sound off in the comments below!

April 26, 2012

Fbhansen said... Apr 26, 2012, 7:10:00 PM

Excellent pick! Congrats AJ! Now back that up with moving up in the 2nd and picking Harrison Smith!

Triplook said... Apr 26, 2012, 7:11:00 PM

badass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Triplook said... Apr 26, 2012, 7:31:00 PM

Fbhansen said... Apr 26, 2012, 7:50:00 PM

Damn Vikings! They screwed us out of Harrison Smith...I knew we should have made a play for Asante Samuel the Falcons got him for a 7th round pick what a deal...we could have done that and had Jammer move to safety if we got shut out in the draft!

Ambitoos said... Apr 26, 2012, 8:09:00 PM

We missed Barron but this pick is almost equal. I'm impressed AJ. Second round is coming. Don't FU.

Mike Roman said... Apr 26, 2012, 8:19:00 PM

Jon Gruden- "I thought San Diego taking Melvin Ingram was the pick of the night." OH YEAH!

Mike Roman said... Apr 26, 2012, 8:21:00 PM

@FBHANSEN - If hes good to go should try to get Nick Collins

Mike Roman said... Apr 26, 2012, 8:22:00 PM

Should try for Nick Collins if hes good to go.

Triplook said... Apr 26, 2012, 9:21:00 PM

we can load up on another pass rusher or a guard or both we didnt give away any picks  and we got a top 10 level pick who may wereck havoc and make the other guys around him better--for once we are in good shape after the 1st round instead of scratching our heads--there will be more good picks to come i think

Triplook said... Apr 26, 2012, 9:21:00 PM

wreck i meant to say--i gotta start spell checking before i post

Ambitoos said... Apr 26, 2012, 9:48:00 PM

Jon Gruden sure is sweet talking the Chargers. I think he would love to be here next year since he and AJ are friends.

BoltisBig said... Apr 26, 2012, 9:52:00 PM

I would like us to trade up into the 2nd and get Upshaw! Add another beast pass rusher!

sanford p said... Apr 26, 2012, 10:42:00 PM

I hope he is the real deal.I would have liked natural linebacker. But this guy played in the SEC. He has faced top notch talent. I think he is a stud.

Triplook said... Apr 26, 2012, 11:21:00 PM

i agree boltisBig that would be awesome what would we trade up to get him tho

Myke said... Apr 26, 2012, 11:53:00 PM

Did not think he would get to us...sooooo NICE.

threecubed said... Apr 27, 2012, 8:46:00 AM

Gotta like he's a senior form the SEC ( even though only a 1 year starter ) , can't like a history of foot injuries . Gotta like pass rushing help , can't like the safety situation .  At this point AJ would be better off picking up waiver wire guy or anointing Stuckey or Bigby starter , don't waste any middle round picks on long shots that there isn't even a roster spot for . Or is the Jammer to S silliness still in play ?  OTAs will offer some insight .

Triplook said... Apr 27, 2012, 12:04:00 PM

there is alot of talent left for the 2nd round--get the best player available-just like we did in the 1st

Fbhansen said... Apr 27, 2012, 12:12:00 PM

Let's face it Ingram fell into our laps but the fact AJ didn't trade the pick or do something stupid with it makes me have hope this might be a good draft! I'd stay on the defense side of things and would love to pick up a safety at some point what helps is that we had Weddle playing at the top of his game so a rookie won't be forced into carrying the load...

Pete Spinning said... Apr 27, 2012, 12:40:00 PM

Wow... did you just say "Excellent pick! Congrats AJ!", FB?!!!!! That was like getting a picture of bigfoot, or something.   I just made your comment my new desktop wallpaper.

; )

Pete Spinning said... Apr 27, 2012, 1:01:00 PM

I'm glad that draft went as fast as it did. It was like "pick is in... this team selects this player... on to the next team...". I like that, because it didn't give AJ too much time to overthink things, and fuck everything up. Also, it seemed like the trade deals were going fast, too. So, it didn't allow other teams to devise strategies that may have effected our picks. It was like "shit.. or get off the pot & pick"!

Bummed about Harrison Smith, but hey... that's how the dice roll. I have always thought Ingram was the best OLB in the draft, and I'm glad we were lucky enough to get him, and not one of the other guys! I can't believe the Jets took Coples.. I thought for sure they would take Ingram. I guess only time will tell who the better player is, but I think we got the better part of that. And, it was nice to get the best player  available, AND fill the need... without moving up or down.

I agree with FB Hansen... take a safety in this draft, and do it soon. If not, get a decent CB. Weddle will rub off on a young SS big time! I normally wouldn't say that talent can be taught.. but, in this case, I think it would have a pretty big impact. Especially, since we have enough players in the SS rotation to take the pressure off of a rookie, and let him try to make an occasional big play.

Let's do round 2!!!! I can't wait to see if AJ has anything up his sleeve for this round! I get the feeling he is more focussed than usual, since he almost got the chop! At least the first round was inspiring... so far, so good!

Triplook said... Apr 27, 2012, 2:53:00 PM

i think we are gonna pull something good in the 2nd+3rd rounds---again ty seattle and nyj---we never had to even wave a sandwich in front of rex ryans face---maybe nov can had him one when we beat their ass on sunday nite football this season

Triplook said... Apr 27, 2012, 2:54:00 PM

oh and in the case of bruce irvin i hope he destroys it over there in the nfc

BoltisBig said... Apr 27, 2012, 9:14:00 PM

Yes, thank you Jets for drafting the next Vernon Gholston. If we can't beat them on the field at least we canbeat them in war room!!!!!!! Go Boltz!!!