Oddsmakers Say Chargers Will Finish 2nd In AFC West

Charger land is in a state of controversy this offseason. The team brought back Norv Turner, much to the dismay of the fan base. San Diego has been loaded with talent over the last several seasons, but they never seem to get over the hump. They missed the playoffs last season, and now they have Peyton Manning in their division. Do you think the Chargers should be the NFL odds favorites to win the AFC West?

San Diego Chargers offseason update by SBRForum.com

Phillip Rivers will obviously be the most important Charger this season. The team is in his hands, and with the defense being way below average last season and probably this season, Rivers and the Chargers’ offense will have to be key. The Chargers lost Vincent Jackson to the Bucs, and now Rivers will have to rely on a banged up and old Antonio Gates, and a wealth of young receivers.

The Chargers did add Robert Meachem and Eddie Royal to their receiving core, but I’m afraid it won’t be enough. The Chargers don’t have anyone who can demand double coverage, and with the talented secondaries in Denver and Kansas City, I don’t see the Chargers winning the air battles a whole lot.

Obviously the health and production of Ryan Matthews will be key as well. If Matthews can have the season we all know he is capable of having, he could very well lead the NFL in rushing. If Matthews plays in all 16 games, the Chargers will be in great shape.

I don’t think the Chargers will win their division, but they have a shot at the playoffs. With Rivers and Matthews healthy and playing well, this offense is dangerous. The question is, will their defense step up?

July 21, 2012

Steve Diaz said... Jul 21, 2012, 1:53:00 PM

hmmm. with all the additions on our Defense, you still think our defense will be mediocre? Gates seems to be finally healthy, and the description "banged up and old" is a bit harsh don't you think? Even when Gates is hurt, he still delivers as one of the top tight ends. Also, don't forget the depth we now have at the TE position. Just like Brees, Rivers has the skillset to deliver the ball to any open receiver.
Have you read the articles written about Jackson compared to Meachem and Royal? Jackson has had commitment issues for the past two years. I believe this is Meachem's year to step up once now that he has the opportunity to shine in our organization. Same for Royal.
Traditionally we have had Manning's number. Even though he is now with Denver, it will still take him time to work with a new organization. IMO, he won't deliver as well as all the analysts think.
Our ramped up run defense should do well against Kansas City and Oakland. Our new revitalized pass rush should take the heat of our cornerbacks. The only problem I see for us is ourselves. Chargers have a tendency to beat themselves. This I believe will be our biggest issue.

RaiderHater said... Jul 21, 2012, 2:36:00 PM

>>> I don't know who wrote this garbage?? Obviously some Pony Boy or Gang-Banger Raider fan/writer. He for sure is unaware of things like say drafts and free agency...seeing as he again follows his idol (Manning) or too busy "tagging" walls and buildings (Raider style) to be up on who we now have and how much we expect the Defense to be improved...let along how much MORE potent our Offense is this year. I would have suggested he was based in KC...but most of them can't write such a complex article so i will stick with a Pony Boy or Raider Banger. At least he gave us the #2 spot....most have said dead last...I would print this article and put in onto each Charger player locker door....just for "stimulation" of coarse. And as far as a "banged up and Old Gates"...WTF, he hasn't been this healthy in some time, and I would take his "old" ass against ANY TE in the NFL any day....that my friend you can take to the bank!
RaiderHater

Pete Spinning said... Jul 21, 2012, 3:47:00 PM

I agree... even when he was hurt, he still had 7 TD's. VJ will not be missed as much as everyone is saying. After this season, I wouldn't be surprised to see VJ fade away. I just don't see him and Freeman lighting it up, for some reason. And, it's not just because I don't like him. It's because...well... I think he doesn't have the heart, to be honest. VJ should post this comment on HIS locker... hahaha! Go get another dewey bro!

Pete Spinning said... Jul 21, 2012, 4:37:00 PM

Ain't that the truth?!!! We just beat ourselves last year. The year before, "bitch-ass Jackson" sat on the bench, and special teams was a mess. We were one bad Rivers botched snap away from owning the division... AGAIN! Oh well...

Pete Spinning said... Jul 21, 2012, 4:52:00 PM

I think Manning was great when he had all those targets in Indy, but I'm not
seeing those same caliber of targets on the Broncos. Plus they need to learn the system.
So do the Bolts... but at least there are a couple of targets who are used to catching passes from Philip. And, he is very familiar with the offense, duh. Defense is very upgraded FYI... this article is lame.

Another thing I think is dumb about this article is that he says the Chargers
might still make the playoffs, but not win the division. So, is he
saying Denver is going 11-5, or 12-4... and that the Chargers might go
10-6 to nab a wildcard spot? Those are some pretty lofty predictions for
a QB that hasn't played ball in a year, and has one of the hardest
schedules in football coming up. Not to mention, Rivers has always gotten the best of Manning, statistically. I was at those home games, son!

Here are the most popular "beat a dead horse" (pun intended) NFL Network headlines in Denver for 2013 (or maybe sooner).....after Elway blew the teams whole wad on Manning:

"Should the Broncos have kept Tim Tebow?" or "Elway makes HUGE mistake". Trust it...

Pete Spinning said... Jul 22, 2012, 11:48:00 AM

Oh... and I'm glad the oddsmakers are sorta on the same page as I am, at least. The Chiefs and Raiders will battle it out for the basement spot ; )

Arnie said... Jul 23, 2012, 12:16:00 AM

Everything looks good on paper. everyone looks good in camp. Also, everybody has a plan, until you get hit in the mouth.
the reality is the Chargers let the the Best WR walk. While other teams resigned their best WR. The chargers have signed RB that are in "twilight" of their careers, to back up the 1st rounder that has yet to show his best. While on that note, i don't see how Mathews will have much success, when his HC best running play is, "UP THE MIDDLE". Also the only other RB that could keep #24 on the bench, are "conveniently gone. Then Sproles goes an sets the all purpose record with his new squad. Which goes to show what a genius Norv is, glad we got rid of the loser (#43). Speaking of which, Norv is proving me right. since day one i said Norv is a .500 HC at best. last season was his "second" 8-8 season, but you can throw in the 9-7 season as well. Finally the organization has decided to "Stay the Course". really? What is the definition of madness? doing something repeatedly, and expecting different results??

My point? we got beat by a good defensive and running team. with an inferior QB, that did enough to win this division. oh and BTW they "BEAT THE STEELERS", which is something we have not done, in a while.

Now, they have the same good, young D, same good running game. with a healthy Manning under center. Now what was the worst problem Tebow had as a passer? Accuracy. What is Payton Know for? Accuracy.
what did the Chargers have the biggest problem last season? pass rush. what is the biggest, unproven factor, of the Chargers new defensive game? pass rush. did i mention the Chargers have a new DC.

The Chargers have an uphill battle to overcome. with a lot of question marks. just like last season, and the season before that. see the pattern?

Nick in PB said... Jul 27, 2012, 10:01:00 AM

It seems to me that an outsider wrote this article. They don't understand that many of our defensive weaknesses were largely in part the results of a terrible DC. Manusky was too timid, played head games with his players and overall, wasn't respected by the players. The core defense we had last year, I do believe, would have been a better unit under a different DC. If the Chargers brass are right about Pagano, plus the additions we brought to the team, this unit should be vastly improved. Plus, everyone is giving the nod to the Broncs because of Manning. They do have a decent team. Their roster is comparable to ours talent-wise but I still give the edge to us. And nobody knows what kind of season Manning is going to have. We should be able to beat the Broncos and own the rest of the division.. that is, if Norv doesn't screw it up!

Arnie brought up a lot of good points and in some ways, it is going to be an uphill battle, but I think it's a hill we've got the talent to climb!

Nick in PB said... Jul 27, 2012, 10:12:00 AM

Good post Steve! No way our defense is going to be mediocre... no way! Unless we get hit by injuries. But we have built depth.

I think the additions of Meachem and Royal are an upgrade. I know the outsiders may not see it that way, but it seems we are faster and slightly more dangerous and I think that's going to help a lot. We have a lot of guys that can turn a 10 yard slant into a TD. We didn't have that the past few seasons. Last year, we only had Crayton as the type of receiver that could run a reverse or get YAC but last year was a terrible year for him. This year, we have a lot more options.

And yes, the Chargers beating themselves... that's a whole 'nother issue. They have to play solid and with confidence. That's not usually what Norv's teams bring to the table. As a whole, I don't think Norv does a good job of holding players accountable. Sure, he'll set Mathews on the bench after a fumble, but that's about it. The competition at all positions, should help the players stay true... and we need that. Go Bolts! Let's just prove this idiot wrong!